This homemade BBQ seasoning mix is made without sugar, but you’d never know it! Get all the rich, smokey flavor you love added to your favorite recipes, without any added sugar. Mix up a batch today!
Why It Works
Get your grilling recipes ready, because it only takes two minutes to make this fabulous BBQ seasoning blend! Not only is it super simple to make, but because it’s sugar free, it’s great for Whole30, Keto and other healthy eating plans.
As an added bonus, making homemade seasoning blends is one of best ways to save money and have full control over what goes in your body.
Tons of pre-made seasoning blends include additives like corn starch, sugar, and maltodextrin, which aren’t necessary and just don’t work when you’re following Whole30 or Keto. No thanks!
The best thing about this spice blend is that you probably already have all of the ingredients in your pantry. And if you don’t, you can grab them at any grocery (I get most of my spices at Costco!). Here’s what you need:
- Chili Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Cayenne Powder, optional.
- Swerve or Stevia, optional. Omit if following Whole30, but feel free to use if you’re following a Keto/Low Carb way of eating and enjoy a little sweetness to balance the heat.
👉 To use as a rub, simply pat your meat dry with some paper towels, and season liberally with the spice blend, rubbing it into the meat on all sides until it’s fully coated.
Info & FAQ
Use it in BBQ Chicken Drumsticks, BBQ Chicken Lettuce Wraps, Meatloaf, Pork Chops, Chicken Thighs, and more!
This BBQ seasoning is very versatile. You can add a bit to almost anything with BBQ flavor or bbq sauce that could use a little extra oomph, like a spice rub for chicken, pork, beef, and vegetables.
I like to season my meat with the blend before cooking it in the slow cooker or Instant Pot, too!
Transfer the seasoning blend to an airtight container or ziplock bag. Store it at room temperature. I like to keep my spices in small mason jars, labeled with the date I made it and readily accessible in my pantry.
For best taste, use any of your homemade spice blends within a year, unless the expiration on any of the individual spices comes before that.
I typically use mine up faster than that, since this recipe only yields about 2 servings. *To easily multiply the recipe below, tap the serving size and use the slider bar below!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear about your experience!
Leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom.
BBQ Seasoning without Sugar
- 1.5 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional, depending on how spicy you want it
- 1/4 teaspoon swerve or 1/8 teaspoon stevia, optional. *Omit if following Whole30 or Paleo.
- Measure each ingredient and add to a small dish. Use a spoon to mix together well, until fully combined.
- Transfer the mixture to an airtight container and store at room temperature until you're ready to use it.