Homemade Whole30 BBQ sauce is one of the easiest condiments to make at home. Learn how to make it in a jiffy with just a handful of pantry staples and without refined sugar!
Why We Love It
During my first Whole30 in 2014, I was shocked to learn that sugar is in nearly every single condiment in my fridge and pantry. I couldn’t believe it!
I realized I’d need to make my own Whole30 compatible condiments, and I set off on a mission to recreate my favorites without all the unnecessary sneaky sugars.
And the first condiment I ever made was Whole30 BBQ sauce! Nowadays, Whole30 condiments are readily available at a lot of grocery stores, but it’s still SO easy and a lot more budget friendly to make them at home. So here I am, six years later, still making my own BBQ Sauce.
You may also like: Sugar Free Pickled Onions, Whole30 Buffalo Sauce, Whole30 Teriyaki Sauce.
Here’s what you need to make this fabulous bbq sauce at home! Most ingredients at pantry essentials and can be found at stores like Walmart, Aldi, or Costco. Here’s what you need:
- Ketchup – Be sure it’s Whole30 compatible ketchup.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Pitted Dates
- Coconut Aminos
- Spices & Seasonings: Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt, Pepper & Smoked Paprika
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: First, soak your dates in warm water in a small dish. Since they’ve been dried, this helps to rehydrates and soften them.
Step 2: Next, add all ingredients to a food processor or blender. Pulse, then blend on high until well combined.
Step 3: Once smooth, transfer to a small sauce pan. Bring the sauce to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Simmer for about 5-7 minutes, or until reduced by about one third. It should be sticky and thickened slightly.
Allow it to cool, then transfer the sauce to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to a month and use in your favorite Whole30 recipes!
Recipes that Use BBQ Sauce
Homemade BBQ sauce can be added to your favorite proteins, and there are TONS of other Whole30 recipes that use BBQ sauce. Some of my favorites are:
Like this recipe? Drop a star rating below or tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom!
Homemade Whole30 BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup be sure it's compatible with no additives or sugar
- 6 dates soaked
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 teaspoons coconut aminos
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch salt and pepper
- First, soak your dates in warm water in a small dish for about 10 minutes.
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender or food process. Pulse, then blend on low until the dates and broken down and fully incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Simmer for 5-7 minutes, until it reduces and has the sticky consistency of bbq sauce.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to a month.