Want a totally awesome Whole30 dinner in a snap? This Paleo, Low Carb, and Whole30 Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry is absolutely amazing and made with only a few super clean ingredients, plus it’ll will be on your table quicker than if you ordered takeout from your neighborhood Chinese fast food restaurant.
Recreating classic takeout dishes
I made this for my family last night, and everybody loved it — my kids actually asked for the leftovers for breakfast! So this Whole30 Beef and Broccoli fakeout will forever be better than takeout in my book!
We need to remember to enjoy our food, even when what we’re eating is good for us. Most importantly, we can’t lose the soul-satisfying aspects of eating. Think of whatever the food equivalent is of your happy place.
That’s what I try to do when I recreate meals, and I always make sure the healthy version fits it. And to be honest, I’m starting to think of myself as a bit of a Whole30 copycat recipe ninja!
I’ve been recreating healthy, Whole30 versions of classic takeout favorites for years now, and they never miss the mark (just check out my Orange Sesame Chicken, General Tso’s Shrimp, or Kung Pao Chicken recipes!). They’re good for your body and your heart.
This recipe is always a huge hit in my house! Even my one year old was gobbling it up last night, which is quite a feat for someone who still doesn’t have any teeth! I don’t know about you, but I really LOVE it when I see my family enjoying my food. I’d one thousand percent rather someone compliment my cooking than anything else. Is that silly? Oh well, it’s totally true.
If my husband tells me I look nice, I’m thinking, “Okay, thanks, whatever,” but if he tells me he loves the dinner I made? I’m like, “Really?? What did you like about it?? Is it your new favorite?? Do you want me to make it again?!?!”
I guess it just makes me feel good to give something to the people I love that they really love. And food just has that special way of warming someone’s heart.
It’s why I started this blog in the first place, and it’s why I absolutely love to hear from you. When someone tags me in an Instagram photo or story, or when they comment on one of my posts, it makes me feel soooo unbelievably happy. Better than Christmas, I think!
Tips for Making Beef and Broccoli:
- You can use flank or skirt steak (they’re usually pretty interchangeable).
Since flank and skirt steaks are both pretty lean cuts of meat and the flavor and texture is pretty similar, the method will be almost identical. Just be sure to slice the steaks thinly and against the grain, and always marinate them for at least 30 minutes before cooking– this helps to make the meat more tender. I chose flank steaks simply because I had some in my freezer!
- Cook the steaks quickly over high heat.
Nobody like rubbery beef. These steaks only need a quick sear!
- Be sure to use an oil with a high smoke point, like avocado oil.
You can substitute another compliant oil if you’d like, but oils with a high smoke point won’t burn over the high heat.
- If you don’t like ginger: When I made this for a family member who doesn’t like it ginger, I completely left it out, and it was still awesome for all of us.
- If you don’t have fresh garlic: Substitute about 1/2 tsp. garlic powder. it’s still really, really delicious.
- For a low carb / keto-friendly variation: Just leave off the dates completely! It’ll still be mind-blowing.
And here’s a totally unrelated, random fact for you, just because I think it’s funny:
The picture at the very top of this page was taken by me, holding chop sticks in my right hand, my camera in my left hand. I activated touch shutter, then pressed the screen of my camera with my nose. It was a chicken-head-bob style move.
Because when a girl’s got a job to do and only a minute to do it in, this girl finds a way. Just like dinnertime, I always find a way to get it done. I really do hope you enjoy this recipe! I think it’s great for a quick and delicious dinner, even when there’s only a little time in your day to make it happen!
Pin it for later:
Are you making my Whole30/Paleo Beef and Broccoli recipe?
If you like it, please leave a star rating below!
Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry
- 1 lb flank steak or sub skirt steak
- 4-6 cups broccoli
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or other high heat olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 green onion
Stir Fry Sauce + Marinade
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp ginger optional
- 1-2 dates*
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder separated
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce optional
Make the Marinade
- Mince the garlic, ginger, and dates. Whisk the coconut aminos, sesame oil, and hot sauce (if using) together, then stir in the ginger, garlic, dates, and black pepper. I sometimes add everything to a tall cup and let my immersion blender blend it all up for me – no chopping required!
Marinate the Beef
- While it's still cold, slice the beef into 1/4 inch slices against the grain (slicing it while it's cold is a little easier than when it's room temperature).
- Pour half of the marinade over the beef, gently mix, and cover. Mix the arrowroot powder into the remaining sauce.
- Allow the beef to marinate at least 30 minutes on the countertop, or up to overnight in the fridge.
Prepare the Dish
- Cut the broccoli into bite-sized florets. Add 1/3 cup of water and the broccoli to a large skillet and cover. Bring to a simmer and lightly steam the broccoli until it’s just turning a bright green color, about 3 minutes. Remove the broccoli and set it aside.
- In the same large skillet (or wok), heat the oil until hot and shimmering.
- Add in the slices of beef and sear for about 2 minutes per side.
- Add the remaining sauce and broccoli to the skillet and cook everything together, stirring occasionally, for about 4-5 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the broccoli!
- Divide the cooked beef and broccoli into bowls. Sprinkle them with sesame seeds and sliced green onion and serve!