These crispy air fryer sweet potato fries are the absolutely best side dish ever! Cooking fries in the air fryer makes them perfectly crispy without the need for lots of oil! Serve them with the best dip for sweet potato fries, a quick & easy Avocado Aioli.
Why It Works
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries are the best ever side dish! They go perfectly with any meal, so you can enjoy them with breakfast, lunch, or dinner. And you know what? They’re perfect all on their own, too.
- Quick & Easy: Since these sweet potato fries are made in the air fryer, they cook more quickly and evenly than they would in the oven!
- Super Crispy: The air fryer cooks sweet potatoes perfectly crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Simple Ingredients: This recipe is made with whole, fresh sweet potatoes, oil, and seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Use olive oil or avocado oil.
- Choose medium size sweet potatoes, about 4-6 inches in length.
- Optional: Season the potatoes with 2 Tablespoons of ranch seasoning or any seasoning blend you enjoy for extra flavor.
- If you’re planning to make Avocado Aioli, you’ll also need these ingredients: Avocado, garlic, mayonnaise, lime, and salt and pepper.
- This recipe is Whole30, Paleo, and Gluten Free friendly.
🍠 Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Do the Prep Work
First things first! Preheat the air fryer.
Meanwhile, wash your sweet potatoes well. Peeling the potatoes is optional! Sweet potato skins are good for you so I don’t peel them, but you can if you’d like.
Use a sharp knife to slice the potatoes into into 1/4 inch fries, then toss the fries in a bowl with a little oil and lightly season with salt and pepper.
Step 2: Cook the Fries
Being careful not to overcrowd the air fryer, add the sweet potato fries and cook for 25 minutes, turning the fries every 7-10 minutes to ensure they cook evenly.
Near the end, watch closely and remove any that are well done before they burn. Season to taste and serve!
Step 3 (Optional): Make the Avocado Aioli
🥑 This avocado aioli can be whipped up in just about 2 minutes flat, and it’s a recipe you’ll make time and time again. It’s great on sandwiches, tacos, and more, too!
Get two ripe avocados, 1/4 cup mayo, the juice of a lime, 1-2 cloves of garlic, and salt and pepper and add everything to a blender cup.
Use an immersion blender or mini food processor to blend it until smooth. Blend in a little more lime juice or oil until it reaches your desired consistency. I like mine on the thicker and creamier side, but it’s totally up to you!
Variations & Adaptations
There are a million ways to enjoy sweet potato fries! Here are some of my favorite ways to change them up a bit!
- Low Carb: Sweet potatoes aren’t the best choice for low carb/keto. Instead, substitute radishes, parsnips or turnips.
- Mexi-Fries: Season the fries with a 1/4 tsp. garlic powder and 1/2 tsp. cumin before cooking, then sprinkle with fresh cilantro before serving.
- To cook in the oven: Follow the same method, but lay the potatoes flat on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast for 25 minutes, turning once halfway through, until crispy and cooked through.
- Want to try a different dip next time? Make my horseradish aioli!
You want them to be perfectly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, and cooking them in the air fryer makes that possible without the use of a lot of oil. Follow these tips for perfect air fryer fries:
- Always preheat the air fryer. If you don’t have a preheat setting on your machine, just set it to temperature and wait about 5 minutes to start cooking.
- Spray a little oil on the basket or rack to prevent the potatoes from sticking.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer. You want those puppies to be able to breathe a little!
- Check the fries close to the end of cook time. Carefully open the basket and remove any fries that may be getting a little too dark before they burn.
- Lightly season the fries again after cooking because the air fryer convection can blow some of the seasoning off.
👉 Get more air frying tips when you get my FREE printable air fryer cook times guide!
I’d love to hear about your experience making this recipe!
Please leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries with Avocado Aioli
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro leaves optional
- 2 avocados
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoons pepper
- 1 lime juiced, about 2 tbsp
Make the Sweet Potato Fries
- Preheat your air fryer to 350°F (176°C).
- Meanwhile, wash your sweet potatoes well. Use a sharp knife to slice the potatoes into into 1/4 inch fries.
- Toss the fries in a large bowl with the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the fries to the air fryer, being careful not to overcrowd it, and cook for 25 minutes. Turn the fries or shake the basket every 7-10 minutes. Near the end, watch closely and remove any that are well done before they burn.
- Season the fries again lightly to taste and serve with avocado aioli and a sprinkle of cilantro leaves.
Make the Avocado Aioli
- While the potatoes are cooking, add the avocado flesh, lime juice, mayo, garlic, and salt and pepper to a tall cup or bowl.
- Use an immersion blender or hand blender to blend until smooth. Add more lime juice or a little oil if needed, to get to the desired consistency.
- Follow the same method as above, but lay the potatoes flat on a parchment lined baking sheet. Roast for 25 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Spoon the aioli to a container and use the back of the spoon to flatten the top as much as possible.
- Drizzle lime juice over the entire top of the aioli and don’t stir it.
- Just before serving, stir the entire container with a spoon.