If you’re looking for the fastest way to cook sweet potatoes, you’re in the right spot! Microwaved sweet potatoes are the best, easiest, and quickest way to cook whole sweet potatoes, and I’m sharing the recipe secret to keeping them moist and delicious on the inside. Okay it’s not really a secret, it’s just a wet paper towel!
Why It Works
There are plenty of reasons sweet potatoes are one of my favorite go-to vegetables! They’re delicious, full of unbelievably good-for-you stuff, and SO EASY TO COOK.
Microwaving sweet potatoes is the fastest way to cook them, and today I’m sharing my fool proof method.
If you’re meal prepping for a Whole30, Paleo, Gluten Free or any other healthy eating plan, or if you need a quick veggie to serve with dinner, or you’re making a rockin’ recipe like my healthy sweet potato casserole, this method will definitely save you time and energy.
How Long to Cook a Potato in the Microwave
The answer depends on the size of the potato. Follow these timelines to cook your sweet potatoes in the microwave, depending on how large the potatoes are.
- 2-3 inches thick: 8-9 minutes on high
- 4 inches thick: 10-11 minutes on high
- 5-6 inches thick: 13 minutes on high
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
- How to Freeze Strawberries
- The BEST Roasted Broccoli
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries with Avocado Aioli
- 10 Whole30 Mini Meals & Snacks
I’d love to hear about your experience making this recipe!
Please leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom.
Perfect Microwaved Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- Poke Holes in the SkinUse a fork to poke a few holes in each potato. This allows the steam to escape without exploding your potato in the microwave.
- Wrap in Wet Paper TowelsWrap a wet paper towel around each potato. You don't want it to be dripping wet, but it should be much more saturated than damp. This helps keep them from drying out in the microwave. Lay the wrapped potatoes on a microwave safe plate, spacing them out a little. You can skip the plate and lay them directly on the microwave dish, but then you'll need to use thongs or potholders to remove them once they're cooked or wait until they've cooled and use your hands.
- MicrowaveCook on high heat for 10 minutes for medium potatoes (follow time directions below). You can test for doneness by poking a sweet potato with a knife. It should easily slide through to the middle of the softened potato. Remove the plate from the microwave and set aside until cooled enough to handle