Make absolutely perfect spaghetti squash in your pressure cooker or Instant Pot every single time! If you’ve ever wondered the best and fastest way to make spaghetti squash, this post is for you! Follow these easy step-by-step instructions and you’ll be all set for your Keto/Low Carb, Whole30, Paleo, Gluten Free and Vegetarian meal prep!
Why it Works
To be honest, it really intimidated me when I first got my Instant Pot! It sat in its box in a closet, completely untouched, for months. I guess I forgot about it, or just kept putting off learning how to use it.
But once I finally worked up the nerve to try it out a few times, I totally fell in love! It’s the best kitchen appliance I have, because it saves me so much time. I still like to make baked spaghetti squash, but cooking it in the Instant Pot saves a lot of time!
Step by Step Instructions
I’m being a tad dramatic about the old days, but that’s only because in comparison, the way I cook spaghetti squash now (in the Instant Pot I mean) is a total pleasure.
You just need like 2 minutes of prep work and fifteen minutes of completely hands-off time to make it absolutely perfect (give or take a few minutes, depending on the size of your squash).
- Pierce the skin with a paring knife in a circle pattern around the middle of the squash. It makes cutting once it’s cooked SOOOOOO easy, plus it allows the steam to release so it doesn’t crack or explode in the Instant Pot.
- Add water to the pressure cooker, and set the squash on the trivet.
- Cook on High for 15 minutes, then NPR (allow the pressure to release naturally, which takes about 15 minutes or so).
- Make sure you choose a spaghetti squash that will fit into your Instant Pot without cutting it. If yours is too big to fit, you’ll just need to cut it in half, but part of the magic of this method is not having to cut it until it’s soft.
- If you do end up needing to cut it, I recommend microwaving the squash for 2 minutes first. It softens the skin just enough to make cutting it a tiny bit easier!
- Use a grapefruit spoon to scrape the seeds out. It’s the perfect pointy shape to get them out quickly and easily!
Recipes that use Spaghetti Squash
- Pesto Chicken and Spaghetti Squash Un-casserole
- Paleo Grain Free Porridge (it’s the secret ingredient!)
- Chicken, Bacon & Ranch Spaghetti Squash
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- The perfect side for any Low Carb/Keto Meatballs
I’d love to connect with you more! Come find me on Instagram @cookathomemom, and please tag me if you make any of my recipes! I’d be thrilled to see them!
Perfect Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
- 1 8 inch spaghetti squash about 2.5 lbs
- 1 cup water
- Wash and pat dry the spaghetti squash. In a circle around the waist of the squash, use a paring knife to make 1/4-1/2 inch cuts every few inches.
- Place the squash in the Instant Pot on top of the trivet. Pour a cup of water into the Instant Pot.
- Secure the lid and set to HIGH pressure for 15 minutes. Use a Natural Pressure Release to release the pressure (Do nothing and allow the steam to release slowly until the pressure valve drops).
- Carefully open the Instant Pot and remove the squash from the Instant Pot using the handles on the trivet. Set it on a cutting board. If it's too hot to touch, allow it to cool slightly.
- Slice across the squash, following the pattern from the pierced holes made with the paring knife.
- Use a grapefruit spoon to gently scrape out the seeds. They should come out very easily.
- Use forks to pull the squash away from the skin, fluffing and separating it a bit as you remove it.
- Eat and enjoy it right away, OR store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Pin it for later: