This Mexican Tuna Salad is perfect for an easy and healthy meal prep! There’s no cooking involved, so it’s super quick and easy to make, plus it’s bursting with bright Mexican inspired flavor. And because it’s got lean protein, lots of veggies, and good fat, it’s a complete healthy meal!
🍴 Meal Prep Tips
Meal prepping is my jam! I really love to cook one recipe in larger batches, just to make my life easier for a few days. Maybe it’s because I just really don’t like being stuck without something at lunchtime when I’m hungry, or maybe it’s because it saves me money, but I enjoy my weekly meal prep.
Canned tuna is an awesome protein to work with because it’s budget friendly, healthy, and absolutely delicious. You can make fancier dishes like my Mediterranean tuna salad or something super simple like my spicy habanero tuna salad in lettuce wraps.
I can make a big batch of this Mexican tuna salad in about 10 minutes flat, and then I’ve got lunch for a few days, ready whenever I need it!
It’s got so much flavor and a ton of texture, so this is one desk lunch that’s anything but boring! It’s exciting and fun, and it’s definitely not your momma’s tuna salad.
Please note: This recipe is completely inauthentic. It is only inspired by the flavors I enjoyed when traveling in Mexico, and it’s made the way I like to eat to feel my best. Here’s a more authentic recipe that’s made with peas and corn, if that’s what you’re after!
🐟 Recipe Ingredients
The good news is you may already have all the ingredients on hand! But if not, you can grab them at pretty much any grocery store.
- Canned Tuna. My favorite brand is Genova (I get it at Costco).
- Corn. I use frozen or canned corn because I’m always on a budget
- Bell Pepper
- Red Onion
- Mayo. I always choose a sugar free mayonnaise!
- Lime Juice
- Taco Seasoning. I like to add a bit of homemade taco seasoning to add an extra flavorful kick. If your taco seasoning is unsalted, add a pinch of salt too.
- Black Beans. This would be a great way to get extra protein and texture.
- Jalapeño. If you like your food spicy, add a bit of diced jalapeño!
- Lettuce, for serving. I always like something crunchy with my tuna salad, plus lettuce boats are the perfect vessel for serving!
- Tortilla chips, for serving. Make your own tortilla chips or use your favorite store bought brand!
- Avocado. Adding diced avocado to your tuna salad is a great way to add extra creaminess, flavor, and healthy fats!
🔪 Step by Step Instructions
First, do the prep work. Dice the bell pepper, red onion, and cilantro. Open the tuna and drain the oil or water.
Next, mix it all up. Add the tuna, vegetables, mayo, lime juice, cilantro, and taco seasoning. Add the jalapeno and black beans, if you’re using them.
The amount of mayo you add to your tuna salad is totally a preference thing. I like my tuna salad a little lighter on mayo than my husband. I’ve also always found that tuna salad made with tuna in oil is automatically richer, so it needs less mayo than tuna in water. Start with less and add more, depending on your tastes.
If your taco seasoning doesn’t have salt in it, you may want to add a little extra salt. If it does include salt, go extra light when you season your tuna salad. You can always take a taste and add more until it’s exactly the way you like it!
💡 FAQ & Tips
How to store leftover tuna salad: Transfer the prepared tuna salad to airtight containers or ziptop bags. Store in the refrigerator.
How long does tuna salad last in the fridge? For best taste, eat within 2 days, but it can be safely stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, per USDA.
Well, it looks like the only thing left to do is to get your meal prep started! If you like this recipe, drop a star rating below or tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom!
Easy Mexican Tuna Salad
- 8 oz. canned tuna about 2 cans
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup mayonnaise, starting with less and add more if desired.
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper about 1 small bell pepper
- 2 Tablespoons diced red onion
- 1.5 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1.5 teaspoons lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh jalapeno about 1/4 jalapeno
- 1 avocado diced
- lettuce leaves for serving
- tortilla chips for serving
- Do the prep work: Dice the red onion and bell pepper. Mince the cilantro. Juice the lime. Open the cans of tuna and drain the water or oil.
- Prepare the tuna salad: Add all the tuna salad ingredients to a mixing bowl. Mix well until fully combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add more mayo if desired.
- Serve: Serve the tuna salad with lettuce and tortilla chips right away or transfer the tuna salad into containers and store in the refrigerator until you're ready to eat!