This Grapefruit Sage Sparkler Mocktail is lightly sweet, unbelievably herbaceous, and of course, a non-alcoholic drink. It’s refined-sugar free, which makes it Whole30 and Paleo and Weight Watchers friendly, too!
Grapefruit Sage Mocktail
It’s summertime! That equals us spending a ton of time in the garden. I try to avoid the hottest times of day to be out there, so I’m usually waking up early, grabbing a quick cup of coffee, and then running outside to do a little weeding, planting, and checking on things. In the evenings, just as the sun’s about to set, I’m back out there, doing the same thing. Morning comes, we repeat.
We eat a lot of our meals outside, too (if the bugs aren’t too bad). I throw something easy on the grill, make a quick salad, and eat at our little patio table. There’s just something about doing it that’s good for the soul after a long winter of hibernating.
This time of year also brings the frantic rush to get everything we grow eaten, preserved, or shared.
And one plant that’s always in overdrive? Sage! It grows into huge bushes, flowering with the prettiest purple flowers and then giving us the best herbs all through the year. I try to use it up in different ways and dry some to gift to friends.
Sage and Grapefruit infused simple syrup
The quick infused grapefruit & sage syrup comes together really easily by squeezing juice fresh from the grapefruit, then reducing it over light heat with some sage leaves. I used it to make myself a grapefruit sage mocktail, a little non-alcoholic drink to enjoy. And there we sat on the deck, waiting for dinner to cook.
I love this mocktail because it’s easy, fresh and very hydrating, and when I salt-rim the glasses, it *almost* reminds me of a seasonal margarita. I’m calling it a Grapefruit Sage Sparkler Mocktail, but I almost called it a Grapefruit Sage Mock-arita. Tell me in the comments below, which would you prefer?
Pin it to your Drinks or Whole30 Board:
Come check out some of my other refreshing summertime drink recipes!
- Boozy-Fruity Arnold Palmer (this one has alcohol)
- Coconut Mojito Mocktail (Non-alcoholic, Whole30)
- Collagen-Kombucha Slushie Mocktail (Non-alcoholic, Whole30)
Grapefruit Sage Sparkler
- 2 grapefruits
- 4-5 sage leaves
- 1 can grapefruit seltzer
- crushed ice
- 3 tbsp lemon zest salt (optional)
Optional: Salt Rim the glasses
- Cut the a grapefruit in half and run one piece along the edge of each glass. Pour sea salt in a shallow dish and dip each glass in.
Prepare the drink!
- Juice two grapefruits, removing any seeds. Bring the juice to a simmer in a small pan.
- Add 4-5 sage leaves and simmer everything together for about 5 minutes (or until reduced by about a third).
- Remove the leaves and chill the juice in the refrigerator until cold.
- Divide the juice between 4 glasses. Add crushed ice to each glass until 3/4 full.
- Top off with Grapefruit flavorful seltzer for a little sparkle!