This Air Fryer Zucchini and onions recipe is the best ever side dish, made in a snap with delicious Italian seasoning, less oil, and no breading! When you cook zucchini in the air fryer, it’ll be perfectly cooked and absolutely wonderful!
Why We Love It
But one of my new favorite healthy dishes to prepare is this awesome air fryer zucchini and onions recipe! It’s the perfect summertime side dish, great to serve beside a burger, chicken, pork chops, or eggs at any time of day.
And because this air fried zucchini has no breading and less oil, it’s better for you!
- Zucchini: I like to choose zucchini that are small to medium. Large zucchini tend to be seedy, which is less than ideal.
*Note: Feel free to substitute any portion or all of it with summer squash. They have the same cook time!
- Onion: I prefer to use red onion, but yellow or white onion would work well too.
- Oil: Olive or Avocado oil are my favorites.
- Italian Seasonings & Herbs: Basil, Oregano, Garlic Powder, Salt & Pepper.
Making the Recipe
First, preheat your air fryer. This is an important step, so don’t forget to preheat it!
Next, wash and dice the zucchini and onion. Make sure to dice them at least twice the size of the holes in your air fryer. If you dice too small, your air fryer zucchini will fall through the holes once they begin to cook down.
Add all the diced vegetables to a large bowl. Add the oil and all the Italian seasonings, and mix well to coat.
By now your air fryer should be preheated. I don’t spray the basket first because it is fabulously non-stick, but if your air fryer’s instructions say to always spray the basket or if you just find it works better, then by all means, spray it.
Next, carefully pour the zucchini into the air fryer. Use a wooden spoon or shake the basket to spread them evenly on the bottom of the basket. Close and set the timer for 20 minutes.
Halfway through cook time, give the basket a good shake or turn all the veggies with a wooden spoon. This will help makes sure the veggies are evenly cooked.
Keep a close eye on the veggies the last two to three minutes. Each air fryer convects a little differently, so cook time will be just a tiny bit different.
Just peek inside near the end to make sure none of your veggies are burning.
Now guess what? Your air fryer zucchini is all ready, and you get to eat! Enjoy for breakfast with jammy eggs, or at lunch with tuna salad, or at dinner with chicken, salmon, burgers, hot dogs, or pretty much anything!
More Delicious Recipes
I’d love to hear about your experience making this recipe!
Please leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom.
Air Fryer Zucchini and Onions
- 2-3 zucchini small-medium sized
- 1 red onion
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
Do the Prep Work
- Preheat your Air Fryer to 400F.
- Meanwhile, wash and dice the zucchini and onions, as least twice the size of the holes in your air fryer basket.
- In a bowl, toss the vegetables, oil, and all the Italian seasonings together.
Cook the Dish
- Pour the vegetables mixture into the heated air fryer, then shake or spread the vegetables so they're evenly spaced out in the basket. Close and set the timer for 20 minutes.
- Halfway through cook time, open the air fryer and shake the basket or turn the vegetables with a spoon or spatula. Close and allow to finish cooking, then season to taste if needed and serve. Note: Sometime in the final two to three minutes, open the air fryer to make sure the vegetables aren't beginning to burn.