If you’re looking for a Low Carb or Keto friendly Philly Cheesesteak, this is the recipe for you! These Philly cheesesteak zucchini boats are jam packed with all the flavors of the city of brotherly love, but low in carbs!
This recipe was sponsored by AdapTable Meals. All opinions are my own!
Why We Love It
The debate has raged for decades: Pat’s or Gino’s? Well, once you try this Philly cheesesteak zucchini boat recipe, you’ll be saying, “Neither!”
Why? Well, this recipe is made with ultra tender beef, sweet bell peppers and onions, Italian seasoning, and sharp provolone cheese, but here’s the Keto spin: No bun! Instead, the cheesesteak goodness is served in zucchini boats!
I really do love recreating classics in a healthier way (just check out my Keto Loaded Burger Bowls!), especially dishes traditionally made a bit too heavy for my preferences.
So I lightened up the classic Philly cheesesteaks and made them Keto and Low Carb friendly, using AdapTable Meals’ Smokey Bourbon Sirloin Steaks that I picked up at my local Kroger.
Now of course that makes this Philly cheesesteak non-traditional, but it fits the Keto and Low Carb dietary restrictions while preserving all the lush deliciousness of everybody’s favorite hoagie! I promise, you won’t even miss the bread!
Keto Friendly Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make the recipe:
- Zucchini: Choose medium width zucchini, about 2 inches in diameter and 8 inches in length. Any larger than that and they’ll be really seedy. Any smaller and they won’t fit all the good fillings inside!
- Sirloin Steaks. I use AdapTable Meal’s Smokey Bourbon Sirloin Steaks, and they’re the star of the show! They’re pre-marinated, making my job approximately five thousand times easier, plus they’re super rich in smokey, bourbon flavor, and that works great with Philly Cheesesteaks. And guess what? They’re now found at my local Kroger store! Be sure to check their store locator to find it near you!
- More Produce: Mushrooms, bell peppers, onion, garlic, fresh parsley.
- Italian Seasoning: Use my homemade Italian Seasoning recipe or your favorite store-bought blend.
- Avocado or olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Provolone cheese
🔪 Step by Step Instructions
First things first, let’s do the prep work. Slice the zucchini in half from the stem to the base. Use a spoon to scoop out the insides of each zucchini half from end to end, forming a boat shape. Slice the bell peppers (or skip a step and use frozen bell peppers!), onion, and mushrooms, and mince the garlic.
Prep Work: Set the zucchini on a baking sheet. Rub them all over with oil, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Bake the zucchini at 375°F for about 15 minutes, all while you cook the rest of the dish on the stovetop.
🥩 Thinly slice the steaks against the grain (in the opposite direction of the muscle fibers). It’s going to be easiest to get thin slices with a really sharp knife, right after the steaks come out of the fridge.
You can even throw the steak in the freezer for an hour to make them extra cold and easy to slice!
Start Cooking: Next, it’s time to start cooking up your Keto-friendly cheesesteak filling! Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add the mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers, and saute, turning occasionally. Once they’re softened and close to done cooking, add in the cut pieces of steak.
Season with the Italian seasoning and a little salt and pepper, and saute together. Sliced sirloin doesn’t need long to cook at all, so about 2-3 minutes is usually plenty of time!
Last, assemble the zucchini boats by filling each cooked zucchini boat with the steak and vegetable mixture, spooning any liquid left in the skillet on top.
Layer on a few pieces of provolone cheese, and broil for about 3 minutes, just to melt the cheese. Remove the zucchini boats from the oven, sprinkle with a little fresh parsley, salt and pepper, and serve immediately!
Making this recipe? I’d love to hear about your experience!
Leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom!
Keto Philly Cheesesteak Zucchini Boats
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1.5 lb. sirloin steaks, 2 packages of AdapTable Meal's Smokey Bourbon Sirloin Steaks.
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 4-6 slices provolone cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley minced
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Cut the zucchinis in half from stem to base. Use a spoon to scoop out the seedy insides, forming a boat shape. Lay the zucchini on a baking sheet. Drizzle each zucchini boat with half of the oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Set in the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, do the prep work. Slice the bell peppers and onion into long strips. Mince the garlic. Slice the mushrooms. Thinly slice the steaks against the grain.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced steaks. Saute together for another 3 minutes, or until the pieces of steaks are browned on all sides. Stir in the Italian seasoning and a little more salt and pepper.
- Remove the zucchini boats from the oven. Fill each one with the steak and vegetable mixture and top with pieces of provolone cheese. Broil in the oven for another 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melty and delicious. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with fresh parsley, and serve!