When you hit the road, your Whole30 doesn’t have to take a backseat! Here I’ve rounded up the best Whole30 Approved and compatible foods and drinks for travel to help you rock your trip and your Whole30!
This post contains some affiliate links. I only share what I use & love!
Traveling during Whole30
When you’re doing a Whole30, traveling can throw a bit of a wrench in your plans. Not only are you away from the comforts of home and convenience of having a full kitchen, but flights get delayed, you can’t get an Uber, and you might find yourself hangry/stressed more often than normal.
Here’s what’s important to remember, especially when you’re traveling — there is no such thing as the perfect Whole30. There will be some days that your meals won’t perfectly meet the meal template, and that’s more than okay!
There are usually some solid options for eating Whole30 at restaurants, but I think it’s always a good idea to be prepared with some Whole30 compatible snacks tucked away. Because whether you’re traveling for work, school, or pleasure, travel is unpredictable and stressful, so I like to have options. Today I put together a list of my favorite Whole30 compatible snacks for traveling.
All of the foods listed here are:
- Shelf stable
- TSA friendly (less than 3 fluid oz., if a liquid)
- Lightweight/small in size/backpack appropriate
*Important Note: To get the most out of your Whole30, be sure you’re using these foods appropriately!
That means, especially for the sweeter foods, you’re eating them when they’re necessary and useful, like when you’re traveling, stuck at the office, or genuinely hungry. You just want to be mindful you’re not mindlessly snacking or satisfying a sweet craving (read more on SWYPO).
Chomps Meat Sticks
These handy meat sticks come in a bazillion Whole30 compatible flavors, and they even have kid-sized meat sticks now, too — They call them Chomplings which is just too adorable! I can tell you from experience, my kids LOVE the turkey and Italian flavors.
Chomps are pretty great for whatever traveling you plan to do because they’re lightweight and small in size. I can literally stash 10 of them in my purse and still have plenty of room for other essentials!
- Whole30 Compatible Chomps: Original Beef, Original Turkey, Italian Beef, Salt & Pepper Venison, Jalapeño Turkey, Beef Sea Salt, Cranberry Habanero Beef, and all the Chomplings flavors.
- Where to buy: Their online store (use code COOKATHOME for 15% off + free shipping), Amazon, or check their store locator (I get them at my local Walmart neighborhood store).
Safe Catch Tuna
These bags of tuna are 3 oz. exactly, and don’t require you to have to deal with an oily tin after you’re done eating, which is extremely convenient when you’re on the road. They’re super high quality, and every single fish is tested for mercury to ensure low levels.
I wouldn’t eat tuna on the plane (be a courteous neighbor!) but if you pack a fork, have at it at literally any other time. Best of all, Safe Catch makes a bunch of pre-seasoned flavors to make it extra easy!
I’ve seen other tuna brands that sell individual bags of tuna as well, but Safe Catch is Whole30 Approved, so you can just look for the handy logo on the package. Other tuna companies sneak in weird oils or sugar, and I’ve even seen soy hidden in under the ingredient “broth.”
- Whole30 Compatible Safe Catch Products: Wild Tuna, Yellowfin Tuna, Cajun Tuna, Citrus Pepper Tuna, Garlic Herb Tuna, Citrus Dill Salmon, Italian Herb Salmon, Rosemary Dijon Salmon.
- Where to buy: Amazon, or check their store locator.
Epic Provisions Bars
These Epic Provision bars are hearty, substantial bars with really nicely rounded out flavors. They don’t eat a lot like jerky to me, which is nice because I sometimes have a hard time stomaching heavy handed meat sticks. My kids like the Beef & Bacon bar best, and I like the salt and pepper venison flavor best!
- Whole30 Compatible Epic Bars: Chicken Sriracha, Venison Salt & Pepper, Chicken Sesame BBQ, Beef Apple Bacon.
- Where to buy Epic Bars: Amazon, their online shop, or check their store locator (my local Kroger carries them!)
Fruit & Nut Bars
Rbar has some really tasty fruit and nut bars that are Whole30 compatible. They’re so good, in fact, that they might be no breaks or SWYPO for some, so just use good judgement here! I really like that my kids enjoy them as much as I do, so I can keep a few in my purse for whoever’s getting hangry, even my 2 year old!
They’re nice and soft with a little bit of nutty texture, which I much prefer to other bars because I have TMJ and always prefer softer foods. These work great for our family vacations and work trips alike!
- Whole30 Compatible products: Blueberry Breakfast, Lemon Poppyseed, Cranberry Cashew.
- Where to buy Rbar: Their online shop (use code COOK20 for 20% off) or Amazon.
I think RxBars are a fantastic food for traveling. Both the bars and the nut butters contain egg whites, so you get a little protein in when you eat one– which is helpful on the road when you’re trying to piece together a meal.
Personally, I often have a hard time eating meat bars (especially in the mornings), so I really appreciate the protein factor. They are firm in texture because of the egg whites which can be tough for some, and as a word of warning, they are very sweet and could easily venture into SWYPO or no breaks territory.
- Whole30 Compatible RxBar products: Blueberry bar, Pecan bar, Mixed Berry bar, Vanilla Almond bar, Lemon bar, Coconut Almond Butter, Vanilla Almond Butter.
- Where to Buy: Amazon, their online store, or check their store locator!
That’s It. Fruit Bars
That’s It fruit bars are made from just fruit. My kids and I all really enjoy them, and if you have to avoid nuts they’re also a great option. They’re soft to chew, not too sweet, and extremely lightweight which is fabulous for long trips.
Since fresh fruit isn’t really an option for some of my longer trips, I feel good about getting plenty of quality dried fruits in while I’m on the road.
My favorite fruit bar flavors are the Apple Mango and Apple Cinnamon. There are even mini sizes now available at Costco, which are great for traveling AND healthy lunch boxes! In addition to the fruit bars, they also have compatible dried apple & nut mixes, which are fantastic snacks but I love to use them salad and yogurt toppers too!
- Whole30 Compatible That’s It. Products: Apple Strawberry, Apple Blueberry, Apple Mango, Apple Cherry, Apple Fig, Apple Banana, Apple Pear, Apple Pear Ginger, Apple Mango Chili, Apple Coconut, Apple Cinnamon, Apple Date, Apple Coconut, Apple Apricot, and more!!!
- Where to Buy: Amazon, their online shop, or check their store locator.
Drinks / Beverages
These are some of my favorite drink add-ins to keep tucked away for traveling. Water is always my number one choice, but it’s nice to be able to change things up a bit!
Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
I have collagen every single day at home (just check out my Frozen Collagen Kombucha Mocktail!), and I totally credit it for keeping my hair and nails strong and healthy. When I’m traveling, these handy little packages are fantastic! They sell a big multi pack of these at some Costcos, too!
- Whole30 Approved Vital Protein Sticks: Unflavored Collagen Peptides, Collagen Creamers, and many, many more. Just look for the Whole30 Approved logo!
- Where to buy Vital Proteins: Their online shop, Amazon, Target, and some Costcos!
It’s so important to stay hydrated when you’re traveling, so I like to travel with a items that make it a little easier. These True Lemon fruit infusions are made with freeze dried fruit. They don’t really sweeten your water, but they infuse it with fruit flavor, and that’s really refreshing and enjoyable.
- Whole30 Compatible True Citrus Flavors: True Lemon, True Lime, True Grapefruit, True Orange, Lemon Strawberry, Lemon Mint, Lemon Raspberry, Lemon Cucumber.
- Where to buy True Citrus: Amazon, or check their store locator.
I can’t STAND being without a good cup of coffee in the morning. Maybe it’s a throwback to when I was a barista (which was my least favorite job ever, by the way), or maybe it’s just because I crave creature comforts when I’m away from home. Either way, these Starbucks VIA instant coffees make pretty great cups of coffee. I get them at Costco but they’re widely available at most grocery stores.
- Whole30 Compatible VIA sticks: All of the different roasts are compatible, but my favorites are Pike Place and Decaf Italian Roast!
- Where to buy: Amazon, any Starbucks location, and most grocery stores in the coffee aisle.
Olives & Nuts
Olives and nuts are great sources of fat while you’re on the road. I’ve seen plenty of individual size olives from brands like Mt. Olive and GAEA, and and lots and lots of handy individual packages of nuts. Just be on the lookout for additives, sugar, or incompatible oils.
Baby Food Packets
Get over the fact that you’re eating baby food, and it’s basically just apple sauce in different flavors. Look for step 1 or step 2 baby foods, because they’re usually just fruit or fruit + vegetables. If you’re traveling by air, check to make sure they’re under 3 oz.
Vegetables & Fruits
This might go without saying, but there are plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables that make fantastic travel foods! Depending on the length of your trip, this could be tricky, but for trips under 3 or so days, it’s possible to take some fresh produce along for the ride!
- Best Travel Friendly Produce: Apples, clementines, carrot sticks, celery sticks, snap peas, bell peppers.
I just try to look for things that DON’T weigh a lot (like butternut squash), require cooking (like potatoes), require cooler conditions (like berries) or get smushed up easily (like bananas).
So there we have it! My personal favorites for the best Whole30 travel foods! Please tell me in the comments, do you like these choices too, and did I miss anything?