Summer tomatoes are at their finest right now, so you should really make this Quick Tomato Salad with fresh herbs, cucumbers, and avocado! It’s easy to make plus so good for you. It’s also Vegetarian, Low Carb, & Whole30!
Why We Love It
Are you ready for the best of summertime eating? There’s nothing like a crisp salad with tons of fresh garden produce and herbs! Here’s why you’ll love this quick & easy tomato salad.
Fresh Produce: This salad is made with fresh heirloom tomatoes, then tossed with cucumber, shallots & avocado for texture and flavor. Then the fresh basil and thyme balance it all out!
Delicious Dressing: Just when you think it can’t get any better, it’s drizzled in the best and easiest herby balsamic vinaigrette. I like to serve it with grilled chicken for a complete meal or leave it as-is for a vegetarian side dish.
Easy to Make: It’s incredibly simple to make this salad! Simply wash, slice, and toss together your ingredients, and you’re done!
- Sliced tomatoes are totally the star of this dish. Everything else is just there to help them shine!
- Choose a ripe avocado that is firm but gives a little when squeezed.
- Pick smaller cucumbers to avoid lots of seeds.
- Basil & thyme
- Make a quick balsamic vinaigrette with olive oil, vinegar, garlic, and mustard.
One of the really great things about making this quick tomato salad is that you can customize it with whatever you have on hand. Pretty much any produce you have in the kitchen will pair beautifully!
Recipe variations & ideas
- Add thinly sliced zucchini or summer squash.
- Add fresh sliced peaches.
- Add mozzarella pearls or crumbled feta (not Whole30, but it is low carb!).
- Top it with grilled chicken for a complete meal.
I really can’t think of anything in the world that can beat summer tomatoes. They’re juicy, sweet, unbelievably fresh and flavorful, and I simply cannot get enough of them!
I LOVE to take those beautiful tomatoes and eat them simply sliced with a little salt, or make something really special out of them! If you like summer tomatoes as much as I do, check out my Whole30 Bruschetta Salmon recipe!
Tips & Info
- For extra flavor: Just before serving, sprinkle the entire salad with flakey sea salt. The tiny bit of salty crunch is an amazing surprise!
- To prepare in advance: You could prepare this whole salad in advance, letting the vegetables marinate in the vinaigrette. Just wait until just before you serve it to slice and add the avocado. You don’t want it to get brown and mushy!
More Healthy Salads
- Asian Salad Bowls with Sautéed Shrimp (Whole30)
- Chicken Salad in Collard Wraps (Whole30, Low Carb)
- Classic Greek Salad with Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Mediterranean Salad with Tuna and Creamy Lemon Dressing (Whole30)
I’d love to hear about your experience making this recipe!
Please leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom.
Herby Quick Tomato Salad with Avocado and Cucumber
- 2 cups mixed heirloom tomatoes
- 2 small cucumbers
- 1 shallot
- 2 avocados
- 8-10 basil leaves
- 1 teaspoons fresh thyme
Easy Whole30 Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 cloves garlic depending on your tastes
- 1 teaspoons compliant mustard
Make the Vinaigrette
- Whisk all the ingredients but the oil together in a bowl. Slowly drizzle the oil in, a few tablespoons at a time, continuing to whisk, until combined.
Make the Salad
- Wash and slice all the vegetables and herbs, except for the avocados. Mix everything together in a bowl. Wait until just before serving to slice and add the avocado. Toss with as much of the balsamic vinaigrette as you'd like (I use about half of what this recipe makes), and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the entire salad with flakey sea salt. The tiny bit of salty crunch is an amazing surprise!
- You could prepare this whole salad in advance, letting the vegetables marinate in the vinaigrette. Just wait until just before you serve it to slice and add the avocado. You don’t want it to get brown and mushy!