This time of year always gives me a little extra pep in my step, do you know what I mean? It always has me craving brighter, lighter meals, like these Asian-inspired Rainbow Salad Bowls with Shrimp. This healthy salad recipe comes together in under 25 minutes total, so it’s quick to get on the table and into your belly. And guess what? It’s Whole30 compliant!
It’s springtime, I can feel it! The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, the flowers are just beginning to bloom. And it puts me in the mood for easy, healthy dinners!
Trust me, this unbelievably flavorful Asian-inspired healthy salad dressing is one of my favorite things to eat in warm weather, like.. ever. Of all time. It’s SO GOOD.
Every time I make it, I’m a little tempted to lick the bowl afterward. And like 90% of the time, I don’t… but the other 10%? ::Insert tongue emoji here::
It’s basically a flavor-packed veggie smoothie, sweet, rich, lightly spicy and a little salty, and it’s made in the blender. If you follow this recipe, you should have plenty left over after dinner– I like to use it on roasted veggies, eggs, chicken, pretty much whatever I’m eating.
Today I’m using it on a big crunchy salad topped with lightly spicy sautéed shrimp!
I just LOVE all the crunch in this Asian-inspired, healthy salad. The fresh veggies are unbelievably flavorful, and they compliment each other perfectly. My preference with a salad like this is to use a crunchy romaine or even iceberg lettuce, because it’s holds up well to the heavy toppings and dressing.
- Produce: Lettuce, bell peppers, carrots, snap peas, cucumber, green onion, cabbage, celery, ginger, garlic, tomato, lemon.
- Protein: Shrimp (peeled and deveined) and eggs. I like to make jammy eggs in the air fryer or stovetop.
- Pantry: Sesame seeds, tahini, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, coconut aminos, hot sauce, ghee or oil, salt and pepper.
Just remember, be careful with the amount of coconut aminos you use, because the saltiness of coconut aminos varies from brand to brand — I’ve found that I need quite a bit less when I use Coconut Secret or Bragg’s than when I use Trader Joe’s. Start with less, taste test, then add more if you need it.
🍤 Shrimp for Easy Meals
I usually make this dish by sautéing shrimp, but I’ve also made it with grilled shrimp too and it’s totally delicious. Just heat your grill to medium-hot and use a grill-safe pan or skewer the shrimp first.
How to Cook Shrimp Perfectly
Shrimp cooks very quickly, so you really only need to cook it for a few minutes total, regardless or whether you’re cooking on the stovetop or grill (make sure you turn them once). As soon as they’re pink and slightly opaque, you can remove them from the heat.
In my experience, it never takes more than about 4 minutes. Nothing is faster than that! Okay, maybe opening a can of tuna is faster, but nothing cooked is faster.
What people are saying about this recipe:
Made this for dinner a couple nights ago- so delicious and perfect for a hot night! – Emily
This was sooo yum! – Lindsay
OMG this was delishhhhhhhhh! – Kate
I get a thrill every time someone tells me they’ve tried my recipes, or that they’re planning to try them! If you make my Asian Salad Bowls with Shrimp recipe, please let me know in the comments below or tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom!
If you like this recipe, leave a star rating below!
Asian Ginger Salad Bowls with Shrimp
- 1 lb shrimp⠀ peeled and deveined
- 2 Tablespoon melted ghee or avocado oil ⠀
- 1/2 teaspoons chili powder⠀
- 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder⠀
- 1/4 teaspoons cumin⠀
- 1/2 teaspoons salt⠀
- 1/4 teaspoons red pepper flakes optional⠀
- 4 celery stalks⠀
- 1 medium tomato⠀
- 1/2 small onion⠀
- 1 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoon lemon juice⠀
- 1 Tablespoon tahini⠀
- 1 clove garlic⠀
- 1 inch peeled ginger⠀
- 2 dates ⠀
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup coconut aminos ⠀
- 1/3 cup avocado oil⠀
- 1/4 teaspoons hot sauce ⠀ I use Frank’s
- salt and pepper to taste
Salad Ingredients & Toppings
- 1 head lettuce
- 1 red & yellow bell pepper
- 1 carrot
- 4 soft boiled eggs⠀
- 1 cup snap peas⠀
- ½ english cucumber
- 1 green onions⠀
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage⠀
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
- Rinse the shrimp & pat dry with paper towels. Mix the seasonings in a bowl, then add the shrimp. Toss to coat, then set aside.
- Over medium heat, melt the ghee in a skillet until hot and shimmering. Add the seasoned shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally and turning, until firm and pink, about 4-5 minutes. Shrimp are easy to overcook, so as soon they’re cooked through, remove them from the skillet.
- Roughly chop all the ginger dressing ingredients and add to a high powered blender or food processor. Double blend on high until smooth.
- Once the shrimp and dressing are complete, assemble your salad bowl with desired toppings. Enjoy!