Chilly nights call for easy, cozy dinners! This Healthy Tuscan Chicken is all kinds of delicious and super simple to make in just one skillet, plus it’s loaded with veggies and budget friendly! This Tuscan Chicken recipe is Dairy Free, Whole30 and Paleo, and I’ve included a slow cooker / crock pot adaptation, too.
Creamy & Dreamy, Healthy Tuscan Chicken
This is one recipe you’ll come back to again and again! There’s just so much flavor in every bite.
I like to make this healthy tuscan chicken recipe for date night, or if entertaining guests with dietary restrictions (especially if they’re dairy free). Really, I just make it anytime I just need to mix up the regular Whole30 recipe routine.
Now this recipe is fabulous exactly as-is, but I sometimes serve it with a helping of spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles. Note: If your dietary restrictions don’t exclude pasta, you could serve it over fusilli or penne!
I love that this recipe is made with just 8 simple ingredients, most of which I have on hand all the time anyhow!
- Chicken Breasts
- Sundried Tomatoes: I prefer tomatoes packed in oil but whatever you have will work great.
- Artichokes: I buy frozen artichoke hearts (just one ingredient!) from Kroger.
- Oil: I use the oil from the sundried tomato jar, because *FLAVOR* but olive oil will work fine.
- Fresh Baby Spinach: You can also substitute kale if you’d like, but it needs a bit longer to cook. If you use kale, add it to the skillet along with the artichokes and tomatoes.
- Coconut Milk or Cream: I use full fat coconut milk from a can. If you haven’t used it before, it’s solid at room temperature but melts into the sauce when heated and brings a lovely, rich, creamy element to the sauce. If you can’t have coconut, you can swap out unflavored, unsweetened almond milk.
- Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- Salt & Pepper
- Optional: Kalamata olives (I personally don’t like olives, but they’d be a beautiful addition to the dish if you do!)
How to Make the Recipe
You won’t believe how easy it is to make healthy, crowd pleasing Tuscan Chicken recipe!
- In a large skillet, brown the chicken breasts over medium heat on one side.
- Flip the chicken and add in the artichokes, sundried tomatoes, and garlic. Saute.
- Stir in the broth and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the spinach, cover, and allow the spinach to wilt.
- Season to taste and serve!
*Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Add the chicken, broth, garlic, and seasonings to your slow cooker or crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or high for 2 hours.
- Stir in the artichokes, sundried tomatoes, and coconut milk. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes on high or 30 minutes on low.
- Stir in fresh spinach, and cover until wilted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
More easy & healthy dinner recipes:
- Dutch Oven German Pork Chops (Whole30)
- Butter Chicken Meal Prep (Whole30, Low Carb)
- Orange Sesame Chicken & Broccoli (Whole30)
- Egg Roll in a Bowl Skillet (Whole30, Low Carb)
- Chicken Pad Thai (Whole30)
- BBQ Chicken Lettuce Wraps & Pineapple Slaw (Slow Cooker, Whole30)
Making this recipe? I’d love to see!
Tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom or post a photo to the CAHM Facebook page!
Healthy Tuscan Chicken- Whole30, Paleo, Dairy Free
Made in a skillet or crock pot (adaptation below), this is one healthy and super simple recipe packed with tons of flavor!
- 1 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 cup artichoke hearts
- 6 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes preferably packed in oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or stock
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup coconut cream or milk
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, optional
- 1 tbsp oil from sundried tomato jar or regular olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp italian seasoning, optional
Do the Prep Work
Pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel. If the thickness of the chicken breasts is uneven, place the chicken, one at a time, between two sheets of wax or parchment paper or inside a gallon plastic bag, and gently pound to a standard thickness. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
Mince the garlic.
Cook the Dish (Skillet Instructions)
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat.
Add the chicken to the skillet and brown for about 2-3 minutes. Flip the chicken once it easily releases.
Add the garlic, tomatoes, and artichokes to the pan and saute as the chicken browns on the second side, about 2-3 minutes.
Stir in the broth and coconut milk and seasonings. Bring to a simmer, then add in the spinach and olives, if using, and cover. Allow to cook together for about 5 more minutes, until the spinach is wilted and the chicken is cooked through.
Slow Cooker Adaptation:
- Add the chicken, stock, garlic, and seasonings to your slow cooker or crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 3.5 hours or high for 2.5 hours.
- Stir in the artichokes, sundried tomatoes, and coconut milk. Cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes on high or 30 minutes on low.
- Stir in fresh spinach, and cover just until wilted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.