These BBQ Chicken & Ranch Sliders are the best and easiest Whole30 appetizer ever! Roasted Sweet Potato rounds are are topped with slow cooker bbq shredded chicken, topped with cilantro and red onion, and drizzled with compliant ranch dressing. Best of all, they’re Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, and always major crowd pleaser!
I included instructions to make the chicken in Slow Cooker or Instant Pot, and instructions to cook the sweet potatoes in the Oven or Air Fryer, so this recipe works for whatever equipment you might have.
My favorite part of football season? The snacks, of course!
I mean, as much as I love to watch our beloved Buffalo Bills, more often than not, they’re losing. But at least I’ve got some delicious, real food tailgating snacks to soften the blow!
And these Whole30 compliant BBQ Chicken & Ranch Sliders are definitely making our Sunday afternoons a lot better! I usually make them in my slow cooker, because I like to set it before we head to church in the morning, and then by the time we get home, it’s ready to go!
- Boneless Chicken Thighs (or substitute chicken breasts, if you prefer them)
- BBQ Sauce
- Sweet Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Ranch Dressing
- Red Onion
- Cilantro (optional)
- Salt & Pepper
Making the Recipe
This is absolutely one of the simplest recipes I’ve ever made! The chicken is made in the slow cooker (or Instant Pot), so it’s almost totally hands-off. And then the sweet potato rounds are roasted in the oven until they’re crispy, the perfect “bun” for the sliders.
Once you cook those, pretty much all you need to do then is assemble the sliders – it really couldn’t be easier!
Just top each sweet potato round with the cooked chicken, a little diced red onion, herbs, and compliant ranch dressing. People will be lining up for more, it’s so good!
- Can I use chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs?
Absolutely! Because they’re more flavorful than chicken breasts, I do prefer to use chicken thighs for this recipe, but if you have breasts on hand or if you just prefer white meat, go ahead and substitute chicken breasts.
Even though chicken thighs have more fat than breasts, in the slow cooker and instant pot, they do seem to cook at similar rates. If you make the substitution, they would likely need just a slightly shorter cook time, so check as it nears the end of cooking and remove the breasts early if they’re fall-apart tender.
- What brands of condiments do you use?
More recipes to check out:
- Classic Pot Roast (Instant Pot, Whole30)
- Chipotle Copycat Barbacoa Salad Bowls (Whole30, Low Carb)
- BBQ Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Spicy Pineapple Slaw (Whole30)
- Air Fryer Burger Bites (Whole30, Low Carb)
Pin it for later:
Nothing makes me happier than seeing my recipes made in your homes!
If you make this dish, let me know in the comments below, and be sure to tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom!
Whole30 BBQ Chicken and Ranch Sliders
Slow Cooker Chicken
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3/4 cups compliant bbq sauce divided
Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup compliant ranch I use Tessemae's
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 tsp cilantro
Slow Cooker Chicken
- Lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the crockpot with half of the BBQ sauce.
- Cover and cook on high for 3.5-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
- Once the chicken is fall apart tender, remove the chicken and shred it gently using two forks. Return the chicken to the crock pot and mix it. Set the slow cooker to "Keep Warm" function until you're ready to serve. ⠀
Oven Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds
- Preheat your oven to 400. Wash potatoes and slice in 1/4 inch rounds. Toss with olive oil, season lightly with salt & pepper, and lay on a lined parchment sheet. Bake for about 12-15 minutes, turning once halfway through, and watching closely near the end.
Assemble the Sliders
- Just before serving, remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and mix with the remaining BBQ sauce.
- Top each slice of sweet potato with about a tablespoon of chicken, a drizzle of ranch, some diced red onion, and cilantro.