Hello one dish dinner! This simple budget-friendly Pesto Baked Chicken recipe is a family favorite, made with just one baking dish and a few simple ingredients… all in under 30 minutes! Best of all, it’s completely Paleo, Whole30, Dairy Free, Low Carb, and Keto friendly.
Easy One Dish Dinner
This Baked Pesto Chicken recipe is definitely one of those recipes you should definitely keep in your back pocket for busy weeknights. There are so many evenings my body wants to order takeout but your brain is like, “JUST MAKE DINNER.” When that happens, this is the recipe to make!
It’s so easy that it’s almost a no-cooking-required recipe! If you have some pesto in your freezer or pantry (I make my Dairy-Free Pesto in large batches and freeze it), this recipe requires pretty much no prep time at all!
All you need to do to make it is slice the tomatoes, quickly assemble the ingredients in a dish, and stick it in the oven. While it cooks, I like to make myself a quick mocktail and sit my booty on the couch for a minute.
This is what you’ll need to make this recipe at home. Have you ever seen a shorter list of ingredients? Yeah, me neither.
- Chicken Breasts. Use plain chicken breasts or for extra oomph, use my Pesto marinated chicken breasts!
- Olive Oil or avocado oil.
- Pesto: Use my Dairy Free Pesto recipe to stay Whole30 compliant, or grab your favorite store-bought brand, whatever you prefer!
- Roma Tomatoes.
- Mozzarella cheese, optional. The cheese is Keto friendly but not Whole30 or Paleo. Use it or not, whichever you prefer!
How to Make It
I told you it was easy, didn’t I? Just follow these step by step instructions to make it at home!
- Drizzle the olive oil on the bottom of an oval or square baking dish.
- Add the chicken breasts. It’s okay if they’re smooshed in a little bit, because they’ll shrink as they cook — just don’t pile them up into a stack.
- Spread the pesto evenly over the top of the chicken breasts.
*Optionally, if you’re eating Keto and decide you’d like to add mozzarella cheese to the dish, sprinkle 1 cup of shredded full fat mozzarella cheese on top of the pesto. Remember, this would NOT be Whole30 or Paleo compliant.
- Arrange the tomato slices in rows on top of the chicken, set in the oven, and bake!
Once it comes out of the oven, give it a little sprinkle of fresh basil and salt and pepper and serve. It’s fabulous on its own or with whatever side dishes you like. That’s it!
Making this recipe? I’d love to know what you think!
Drop a star rating below or tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom!
Easy Baked Pesto Chicken – Whole30, Keto
Pesto Baked Chicken
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup pesto use the dairy free pesto recipe below, or your favorite store bought brand.
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded full fat mozzarella cheese, OPTIONAL
- 2 Tablespoon fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
Dairy Free Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cashews raw, unsalted
- 3 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
Serve with (Optional)
- sauteed spinach or spaghetti squash
Prepare the Dish
- Preheat your oven to 375F. Slice your tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices, then set them aside.
- Gently pound each breast to a uniform thickness. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel, and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle oil on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Lay the chicken breasts inside the baking dish. Note: It's okay if they're squished and overlapping a little as they'll shrink while they cook, just don't arrange them in a tall heap.
- Spoon the pesto on top of the chicken and spread it evenly.
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes on top of the pesto.
Cook & Serve the Dish
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, and allow to cool slightly.
- Sprinkle the dish with fresh basil leaves and black pepper.
- Serve with sauteed spinach or spaghetti squash.