Hello one dish dinner! This simple Pesto Chicken Bake recipe is a family favorite, made with just one baking dish and a few simple ingredients… all in under 30 minutes! And not only is this Baked Pesto Chicken recipe quick and easy, it’s also completely Paleo, Whole30, Dairy Free and Keto friendly.
One dish dinners
This is one of those recipes you should definitely keep in your back pocket for the nights your body wants to order takeout but your brain is like, “JUST MAKE DINNER.”
If you have some pesto in your freezer or pantry (I make my Whole30 Dairy-Free Pesto in large batches and freeze it), this recipe requires almost no prep time at all. Just slice the tomatoes, quickly assemble it, and stick it in the oven.
Have you ever seen a shorter list of ingredients? Yeah, me neither.
- Chicken Breasts
- Olive Oil
- Pesto: Use my Dairy Free Pesto recipe to stay Whole30 compliant, or grab your favorite store-bought brand
- Roma Tomatoes
Optional: I like to serve Pesto Baked Chicken with a side of Keto friendly sautéed spinach or spaghetti squash.
How to Make It:
- Drizzle olive oil on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Add the chicken breasts. It’s okay if they’re smooshed in a little bit, because they’ll shrink as they cook — just don’t pile them up into a stack.
- Spread the pesto evenly over the top of the chicken breasts.
*Optionally, if you’re eating Keto, you could layer 1 cup of shredded full fat mozzarella cheese – However this would NOT be Whole30 or Paleo compliant.
- Arrange the tomato slices on top and bake!
More recipes you might like:
- Skillet Tuscan Chicken (Whole30)
- Sausage & Gnocchi Power Greens Skillet (Paleo)
- Chicken Fajita Stuffed Peppers (Whole30, Low Carb)
- Flank Steak BLT (Low Carb, Whole30)
Making this recipe? I’d love to know what you think!
Drop a star rating below or tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom!
Pesto Baked Chicken (Whole30, Keto)
- Baking Dish
Pesto Baked Chicken
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup pesto use the dairy free pesto recipe below, or your favorite store bought brand.
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 2 tbsp fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
Dairy Free Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cashews raw, unsalted
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Serve with (Optional)
- sauteed spinach or spaghetti squash
Prepare the Dish
- Preheat your oven to 375F. Slice your tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices, then set them aside.
- Gently pound each breast to a uniform thickness. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel, and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle oil on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Lay the chicken breasts inside the baking dish. Note: It's okay if they're squished and overlapping a little as they'll shrink while they cook, just don't arrange them in a tall heap.
- Spoon the pesto on top of the chicken and spread it evenly.
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes on top of the pesto.
Cook & Serve the Dish
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, and allow to cool slightly.
- Sprinkle the dish with fresh basil leaves and black pepper.
- Serve with sauteed spinach or spaghetti squash.