I’m sharing my honest review of Porter Road, an online butcher sending the best cuts of beef, pork, chicken, and lamb directly to your door a la carte or by subscription! 👉 For a 10% off discount, use code: COOKATHOME10.
📦 Meat Delivery
The idea of ordering meat from a butcher online might’ve sounded strange to me in the past, but as I write this today, it’s one of my absolute favorite new things.
Why? Because I live in a rural area, high quality meat is sometimes readily accessible, but more often than not, it’s very inconvenient to come by. The hit-or-miss nature of my grocery shopping routine is really exhausting sometimes.
So I LOVE that I can place my order online for what I want, then simply wait for it to show up at my doorstep a few days later. I can make all my favorite recipes, from lamb shoulder to barbacoa beef to marinated chicken, without an extra trip to the grocery store!
I’ve ordered from Porter Road at least ten times now, and my orders have consistently been fulfilled quickly, with turnaround time usually well under a week, then delivered in high quality packaging without any damage or delay.
Some of the items are frozen before shipment and they stayed frozen while in transit, and others are shipped fresh, arriving cold with plenty of ice packs. I LOVE that.
I also sent a gift box to my dad for Father’s Day this year and it pretty much solidified my place as #1 daughter. Sorry, sister!
✅ The Quality
- Beef: The beef is humanely raised, grass fed, and grass finished. Their beef bone broth is sugar free and absolutely amazing, too!
- Lamb: The lamb is sourced from a local farm in Tennessee, which I really love.
- Pork: All of Porter Road’s pork is sourced from Rittenberry Farms in Kentucky. Talk about happy pigs! They’re pasture raised and given lots of good care.
- Chicken: Organic chicken is great, but this chicken is actually better than organic! It’s pastured chicken, which means it’s raised humanely, with lots of time spent outside on lush grass, without antibiotics, hormones, or cages.
🥩 The Products
Quite possibly the best thing about Porter Road is the sheer number of different products they offer. In the beef category alone, there are 54 products to choose from right now! Then there’s all the lamb, pork, and chicken.
The variety is awesome, both because I enjoy eating harder-to-find cuts (like liver or bavette steak!), but also because I think it’s great that the butcher tries to waste as little as possible of the animal.
💵 The Prices
I think prices are very reasonable, considering the quality of the product and the fact that the cost of delivery is included on orders over $100. I normally try to stock up on one of their combo kits to make sure I spend enough to get free shipping.
It’s absolutely more cost effective than shopping at the fancier in-person grocery stores (you know the ones I’m talking about!), so I always feel like I’m getting a good deal.
❓ Porter Road vs. ButcherBox
This is the number one question I get asked on Instagram: Which is better, Porter Road or ButcherBox? As someone who’s tried both services, here’s my answer.
- In my experience, both are fine choices, but the quality of Porter Road’s meat is definitely better and their prices are slightly lower.
- I appreciate that Porter Road allows a la carte ordering, which is nice if you don’t want to commit to a subscription and want variety in each delivery.
- Porter Road has a greater variety of products available, although ButcherBox does offer salmon and Porter Road does not.
- In a matchup of Porter Road vs. ButcherBox, for me, Porter Road wins.
🍖 Final Thoughts
I always write completely honest reviews, and I normally try to make sure I find something I don’t like, even just for the sake of it.
Unfortunately, I’m having a hard time coming up with anything to list under that category here. Truth be told, I’ve ordered from Porter Road a bunch of times at this point and have always been impressed.
I’ll try to keep thinking, but don’t hold your breath! So as for the question, will I order again? Yes, definitely!
Don’t forget to use code COOKATHOME10 if you place an order. Let me know about your experience in the comments below!