This Blood Orange and Fennel Salad with arugula and avocado is everything on a cold winter day. It’s drizzled with a lovely Citrus Vinaigrette and finished with a big crack of black pepper. It’s so full of flavor, you’d never guess this salad is Whole30 compliant, vegan, Paleo, and gluten free.
I used to think salad was just lettuce and ranch dressing. Read: BORING. But over the years, I’ve found that salads can be super different, they can even be exciting, when you mix and match ingredients.
Especially while I’m eating Whole30 compatible, I like to use what’s available seasonally and challenge myself to get creative with my salads.
And this Blood Orange and Fennel Salad is anything but boring. You get bright, juicy, crisp, sweet and earthy flavors in every single bite. Make it for as a side or started for holidays or for weeknight dinners at home.
🥗 Making the Salad
I loved creating this salad with these ingredients! The combination of blood oranges with crunchy anise-flavored fennel and peppery arugula is so refreshing! I added some avocado for healthy fat and topped it with a big crack of black pepper.
It’s dressed with a simple and very light citrus vinaigrette, but you can skip a step and use your favorite store bought salad dressing.
What are Blood Oranges?
It’s wintertime right now, which is peak citrus season! Blood oranges are in every grocery store– along with the juiciest grapefruits, mandarins, and more.
I always buy a big bag full of blood oranges, though, because I love them so much and they’re only around a short while! They’re like a bright ray of sunshine in the middle of the cold winter.
👉 What do blood oranges taste like? If you haven’t had blood oranges before, they’re similar in flavor to regular oranges, except with a bolder, almost raspberry-like taste. The best thing about them though? The color!
I use them in this Blood Orange & Avocado Salsa, and I eat them peeled like a regular orange.
They look like they’ve been tie-dyed by Mother Nature. Absolutely lovely! What more can even be said about the color? Just look at those beautiful stained-glass scraps.
- Quinoa Arugula Salad
- Rosemary Balsamic Salad with Chicken
- Broccoli + Bacon Salad
- Quick Greek Salad
- Tomato-Basil Grilled Turkey Breast Salad
And if you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about your experience!
Leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom!
Blood Orange and Fennel Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
Fennel, Avocado and Blood Orange Salad
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 bulb fennel
- 2-3 blood oranges
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 teaspoons flakey sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoons shallot finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoons salt
Prepare the Salad
- Cut off the fennel stalks (I save them for stock) and remove the woody root at the bottom. Cut in half from top to bottom, then remove any layers that are yucky.
- Lay the halves cut side down and thinly slice into bite-sized pieces, or use a mandolin to thinly shave it. Since it’ll be raw for this recipe, the thinner the better.
- Slice the ends off the oranges, then cut off the remaining skin. Slice them into rounds.
- Cut the avocado into wedges.
- Arrange the arugula on a large platter and top with the fennel, orange slices, and avocado. Drizzle with the vinaigrette (see below), and sprinkle with flakey sea salt and pepper. Serve immediately!
Make the Vinaigrette
- Whisk all ingredients together until well combined.