Jump to Recipe
This Blood Orange and Fennel Salad with arugula and avocado is everything on a cold winter day. It’s drizzled with a lovely Citrus Vinaigrette and finished with a big crack of black pepper. It’s so full of flavor, you’d never guess this salad is Whole30 compliant, vegan, Paleo, and gluten free.
I used to think salad was just lettuce and ranch dressing. Read: BORING. But over the years, I’ve found that salads can be super different, they can even be exciting, when you mix and match ingredients. Especially during rounds of Whole30, I like to use what’s available seasonally and challenge myself to get creative with my salads.
What are Blood Oranges?
It’s wintertime right now, which is peak citrus season! Blood oranges are in every grocery store– along with the juiciest grapefruits, mandarins, and more. I always buy a big bag full of blood oranges, though, because I love them so much and they’re only around a short while! They’re like a bright ray of sunshine in the middle of the cold winter.
If you haven’t had blood oranges before, they’re similar in flavor to regular oranges, except with a bolder, almost raspberry-like taste. The best thing about them though? The color!
They look like they’ve been tie-dyed by Mother Nature. Absolutely lovely! What more can even be said about the color? Just look at those beautiful stained-glass scraps.
Blood Orange and Fennel Salad
I loved creating this salad with these ingredients! The combination of blood oranges with crunchy anise-flavored fennel and peppery arugula is so refreshing! I added some avocado for healthy fat and topped it with a big crack of black pepper.
It’s dressed with a simple and very light citrus vinaigrette. We ate this blood orange and fennel salad as lunch yesterday, but I think it’d be a great vegetarian first course too!
Oh, how I love online grocery shopping!
Now let me tell you a little bit about my favorite way to grocery shop with three kids– online! Let me tell you why, too. Even if I go in a store with a list, I still always, always forget something. I also impulse buy (a lot!), plus grocery shopping just takes soooo much time, and I have so little of that these days! Most importantly, it takes all the stress off of me. I place my order and pick it up. It’s as simple at that!
I’ve been ordering my groceries online through the Walmart app and have really enjoyed it, and it’s FREE (Read my Whole30 at Walmart post to learn more).
I’ve talked about it a few times on my Instagram account already, because really, it’s been such a game-changer for me, and I love to share things that I love. I was able to get all the groceries for this salad there, even the organic Sicilian Partanna olive oil I used for the Citrus Vinaigrette. Psst – You can see what other Whole30 groceries I get at Walmart in my Whole30 Walmart Grocery List post.
Do you want more healthy salad recipes?
Check out some of my other salad recipes, like my:
- Rosemary Balsamic Salad with Chicken (Gluten Free)
- Broccoli + Bacon Salad (Whole30)
- Quick Greek Salad (Whole30)
- Tomato-Basil Grilled Turkey Breast Salad (Whole30)
- Grilled Chicken & Bacon Salad (Whole30)
And if you make any of my recipes, I’d love to see!
Tag me on Instagram, @cookathomemom!
Blood Orange and Arugula Salad with Fennel and Citrus Vinaigrette
Fennel, Avocado and Blood Orange Salad
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 bulb fennel
- 2-3 blood oranges
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 tsp flakey sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp shallot finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp salt
Prepare the Salad
- Cut off the fennel stalks (I save them for stock) and remove the woody root at the bottom. Cut in half from top to bottom, then remove any layers that are yucky.
- Lay the halves cut side down and thinly slice into bite-sized pieces, or use a mandolin to thinly shave it. Since it’ll be raw for this recipe, the thinner the better.
- Slice the ends off the oranges, then cut off the remaining skin. Slice them into rounds.
- Cut the avocado into wedges.
- Arrange the arugula on a large platter and top with the fennel, orange slices, and avocado. Drizzle with the vinaigrette (see below), and sprinkle with flakey sea salt and pepper. Serve immediately!
Make the Vinaigrette
- Whisk all ingredients together until well combined.