You’ve got to try these homemade Dairy-Free Hot Cocoa (it’s Paleo!) with homemade, super fluffy Peppermint Marshmallows (they’re not Paleo). You know how some things are just SO much better when they’re homemade? THIS. IS. THAT. It’s the perfect wintertime drink!
Yes, I do try to eat as close to a Paleo/Whole30 diet as possible…
But it’s almost Christmas! And there are a few Christmas traditions I’ll never give up. This is one of them!
And that’s what Food Freedom is all about! Making your choices based on what’s important to you and what works for you, and owning them 100%. I feel completely thrilled about this recipe, and I’m so excited to put aside some of the normal “healthy” recipe programming in the spirit of celebration.
This Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate is one of my favorite wintertime drinks ever!
Plus I figure that if I get to enjoy these absolutely amazing marshmallows on top of my Paleo hot chocolate, I’ll be about halfway to healthy. That counts, right?
If you haven’t had Homemade Peppermint Marshmallows before:
Stop everything you’re doing and make them right now. Your mind will be blown!
The best part is you have very little active work to do and there aren’t many dirty dishes in the end.
I used a pretty standard recipe, then can flavored them to my liking. Because my sole purpose for these babies is to add to my hot chocolate, I went with peppermint DoTerra essential oil. YUM.
I know you’ll love these homemade peppermint marshmallows with your dairy free hot cocoa, too!
If you make them, will you let me know what you think? Drop a star rating below or tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom!
Dairy-Free Hot Cocoa with Peppermint Marshmallows
Dairy Free Hot Cocoa
- 2 cup light coconut milk
- 2 cup unsweetened almond milk feel free to substitute your favorite paleo compliant milks
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 Tablespoon honey or agave
- 3 packages unsweetened gelatin
- 1 cup cold water divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light karo syrup
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 drops peppermint essential oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Make the Peppermint Marshmallows
- Mix together 1/2 cup cold water and gelatin in the bowl for your mixer. Allow to stand untouched while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, and remaining water over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved, then allow to continue simmering without stirring, until the mixture reaches 240 degrees. Immediately remove from heat.
- Using the whisk attachment on low, mix the gelatin and water mixture, then slowly pour the syrup mixture down the side of the bowl. Turn the mixer on medium-high and allow to whisk for 12-14 minutes. It will be thick and creamy. Add the vanilla and peppermint, and whisk again for the final minute.
- Sift powdered sugar into a large 9×12 pan, then lay parchment paper along the bottom of the pan. Sift more powdered sugar on top of the parchment. Gently pour the marshmallow into the pan and smooth the top with the back side of a large spoon. Sift more powdered sugar on top, then allow to sit uncovered at room temperature overnight. Cut them into squares and dust with a little more powdered sugar. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Make the Paleo Hot Cocoa
- Bring all ingredients to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally. Top with homemade marshmallows and crushed up candy canes!