These Paleo-friendly classic chocolate chip cookies are just like mom used to make, but with no refined sugar, butter, or white flour! Make up a batch of these soft, chewy, moist, and oh-so-delicious cookies today!
This recipe was originally posted in July 2014 and was republished with new photos in July 2022.
Why It Works
I’ve been looking for the perfect Paleo chocolate chip cookie for pretty much, well… forever. And this is my new go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe!
It’s a classic, that’s why. It’s a little bit better for you than other recipes because I substituted butter for ghee, swapped out refined white sugar for coconut sugar, and used a mix of almond flour and coconut flour to keep it grain free.
That means this recipe is 100% Paleo friendly! Not only that, but it’s super easy to make, taking less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
Like my Orange Cranberry Cookies and my Oat Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies, these better-for-you cookies taste great while making sure you feel good, too!
And I have to say, it’s quite possibly the best Paleo chocolate chip cookie recipe I’ve ever tried! The cookies are soft, chewy, and just plain wonderful. Make up a batch today!
- Use super-fine almond flour when baking (like Bob’s Almond Flour) or making recipes like almond flour waffles and be sure you do not use almond meal, which has a larger grain size and is made with almond skins.
- Ghee is shelf stable and often stored at room temperature, but it is sometimes slightly liquified unless chilled. If the ghee is liquified, chill it for about 20 minutes in the refrigerator to firm it up slightly before you begin baking. It should have the consistency of softened butter.
- You can substitute Paleo baking flour in place of the combined almond flour and coconut flour.
- When baking, I often use ghee and grass-fed butter interchangeably. While technically, butter isn’t Paleo, most people who follow a Paleo diet concede that grass-fed butter aligns well enough with the way of eating! If using butter, allow it to soften before you begin cooking.
Step 1: Add the ghee and coconut sugar to a large mixing bowl. Cream them together using a stand mixer or hand mixer.
Add the egg and vanilla extract and turn the mixer back on to mix again for 1-2 minutes.
Step 2: Add the almond flour, coconut flour, and baking soda.
Turn the mixer back on and mix the cookie dough together for another 1-2 minutes.
Step 4: Fold the chocolate chips into the dough until they’re evenly distributed.
Allow the dough to chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. This is pretty important to getting the texture just right, so don’t skip the chill unless you’re really, really, pressed for time.
Step 5: Shape the cookie dough into 2-inch balls using your hands or a small cookie scoop. Place them on a lined cookie sheet and press the balls down gently.
Press a few more chocolate chips into the top of each cookie to make them look prettier (plus more chocolate is always a good thing!)
Bake the cookies for 12-13 minutes. Remove the cookie sheets from the oven, allow the cookies to cool slightly, then transfer them to a cooling rack. Enjoy the cookies right away or store them to enjoy later!
Tips & Info
For best taste, store the completely cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Paleo cookies freeze great! To freeze, transfer the completely cooled cookies into an airtight, freezer-safe container or bag. Store in the freezer for 8-12 months, per USDA.
Almond meal is different than almond flour! Compared to almond flour, almond meal is often grittier and the grain size is larger, which isn’t ideal for baking.
I highly recommend it. Chilling dough prevents it from spreading quickly while cooking. Additionally, almond flour and coconut flour need a bit of time to absorb the liquid before baking. Waiting for the dough to chill for 20-30 minutes in the refrigerator will allow both things to happen simultaneously, resulting in a better texture in your cookies!
More Better-For-You Desserts
I’d love to hear about your experience making this recipe!
Please leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom.
Classic Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup ghee slightly chilled
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup Paleo chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). In a large mixing bowl, beat together the ghee and coconut sugar.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract, and mix until combined.
- Add in the almond flour, coconut flour, and baking soda, and mix until well-combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips until they're evenly distributed through the cookie dough.
- Allow the dough to chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Shape the dough into 2 inch balls, and place on a lined baking sheet. Press and flatten each cookie ball slightly. Press a few more chocolate chips into the top of each cookie.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-13 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the cookies to cool slightly. Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to finish cooling. Serve right away!
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or freeze for 8-12 months, per USDA.
- Use super-fine almond flour when baking and be sure you do not use almond meal, which is grittier in texture.
- If the ghee is liquified at room temperature, chill it for about 20 minutes in the refrigerator to firm it up to a consistency of softened butter before you begin baking.
Leave a Reply