Need breakfast in a hurry? Use your waffle iron! Not for waffles, for OMELETS! I made these Southwest Waffle Iron Omelets for my husband and me in 15 minutes flat, and I loved that there was hardly any cleanup at all! I’m totally sold, and this is my new favorite way to make eggs.
In all honesty, I don’t make waffles all that often. It usually stays tucked away in a cabinet, only making the odd appearance here and there. I make a mean Paleo Chocolate Waffle, by the way, but that’s only for our special birthday breakfasts. Other than that, I’m not really a waffle person! But my mom came by and happened to mention to me that I could use my waffle iron for other things!
Waffle Iron OMELETS!
When she said, “There are other things you can cook in your waffle iron– You even can cook eggs!” my jaw kind of dropped. What?! I mean, in theory I already knew that. But I guess I never really thought about it much. I definitely didn’t think about cooking eggs in there. But I was totally hooked on the idea, and I had to try it.
So I made us these Whole30 Southwest Waffle Iron Omelets, and they were super easy!
- The bottom of the omelet is crispy shredded potatoes
- I added bell peppers and red onions to the scrambled eggs.
- Jalapeños in mine, of course.
Once everything was added and the omelet maker was shut, I just walked away until I heard that little “beep!” Lo and behold, the perfect little omelet! I topped the omelets with salsa, avocado, and some cilantro. They were fantastic!
These waffle iron omelets are totally transforming my Whole30 morning routine!
Now lately, I’ve been LOVING this method of cooking breakfast. Instead of being a line cook in the mornings, I just scramble a bunch of eggs.
I usually keep a few pre-chopped veggies and odds and ends in the fridge anyway, so we all just choose what we want in our omelets, and I make them to order in a flash! My kids think this is the coolest thing ever. They’re actually kind of excited to eat breakfast in the morning!
There’s almost no active cooking time – just pour, shut, and wait for it to be done. I’m telling you, you’ve gotta try it. You can customize your waffle iron omelets with whatever you’d like!
Are you a breakfast person like me? Then check out some of my other healthy and delicious breakfast recipes!
- Pesto & Zucchini Noodle Egg Nests (Low Carb)
- Pepperoni Pizza Frittata (Whole30, Low Carb)
- Paleo Grain Free Porridge (Paleo, Gluten Free)
- Veggie Breakfast Casserole with Hashbrown Crust (Whole30)
Pin it for later:
I’d love to connect with you more!
Come find me on Instagram @cookathomemom!
Southwest Waffle Iron Omelet
Southwest Waffled Omelet
- 4 eggs
- 1 red potato
- 1/4 large bell pepper diced
- 2-3 tbsp red onion diced
- 1 tsp cilantro
- 1 tsp jalapeno diced, optional
- 2 slices chipotle bacon, cooked & chopped
- 4-5 tbsp salsa of choice
- 1 avocado
- Grate the potato using a mandolin or box grater. Set it aside.
- Dice the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno, if using. Scramble the eggs and mix together with the veggies and bacon, if using.
- Heat the waffle iron to a medium-low setting. Spray with cooking oil and add half of the shredded hashbrowns to the waffle iron. Don’t close it, just allow it to cook untouched.
- Once the hashbrowns are beginning to crisp up, you can leave them OR give them a very gentle mix, then pour half of the egg mixture into the waffle iron on top.
- Close and cook for about 4 minutes. When it's ready, it should release easily.
- Repeat the process to cook the second waffled omelet.
- Top with salsa, sliced avocado, and herbs.