Creamy, spicy, buttery, and oh so delicious, this Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip is super simple to make. And because it’s made with dairy free and Whole30 compatible ingredients, you’ll still feel like a rock star after!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn on qualifying purchases.
This Buffalo Chicken Dip will quickly become your new favorite appetizer. Scratch that, it will quickly become the ONLY appetizer you ever make. Not only is it absolutely delicious, but it’s made in the slow cooker so it’s incredibly easy to make with hardly any hands on time!
I recently made it for a small game day get- together, and out of the GIGANTIC spread of food that included delicious finger foods like chicken wings, guacamole, and more, this dip was eaten up first.
No one even knew that this version is squeaky clean, made totally Whole30 and Paleo compatible, low carb, and dairy free, without anything to make you feel icky later.
What I love about it? Well, it’s spicy but won’t burn out your tastebuds, filling but doesn’t feel heavy, rich but not greasy, and just all around unbelievable!
- Chicken Breasts. Use regular chicken breasts, or for extra flavor, use my Buffalo Ranch marinated chicken breasts!
- Buffalo Sauce. Use my homemade Buffalo Sauce recipe, your favorite store bought brand, or make a quick buffalo sauce by mixing together 2/3 cup hot sauce, 1/3 cup melted ghee, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika. Ghee is dairy free but if you have an allergy, substitute any dairy free butter substitute you like.
- Celery. What is buffalo chicken without celery? Celery will slightly cool the heat of the buffalo sauce, not to mention add a little crunchy texture!
- Onions: Onions add texture and flavor to the dip!
- Nutritional Yeast. Nutritional yeast is a vegan and Whole30 friendly way to add savory, cheese-y flavor to a recipe. Don’t skip it!
- Coconut Cream.
- Mayo. The mayo makes the dip creamy and dreamy. Be sure to use Whole30 compatible mayonnaise so it doesn’t have any sneaky sugars!
- Serve with (all optional): Green Onions, Hot Sauce, Ranch Dressing, Cassava Chips, or my air fryer Tortilla Chips.
Step by Step Instructions
I told you it was easy to make buffalo chicken dip in the slow cooker, but I bet you didn’t realize it was this simple. You have to do a tiny little bit of prep work when you chop the onion and celery, but after that, you really just dump the ingredients and start the slow cooker! Here’s how to make it:
Step 1: Do the prep work. Dice the onion and celery and slice the green onions.
Step 2: Add the chicken breasts, coconut cream, buffalo sauce, nutritional yeast, onions, and half of the celery to the slow cooker. Don’t add the mayonnaise yet. You don’t need to add any additional liquid in the slow cooker.Cover and cook on low heat for 3.5 – 4 hours, until the chicken is super tender and shreddable.
Step 3: Use two forks or a hand mixer to shred the chicken, then stir in the mayonnaise. Waiting until the chicken is cooked to add the mayo keeps the dip creamy and dreamy. Cover and allow the mixture to cook together for about 10 more minutes.
Step 4: Serve in the slow cooker or transfer the dip to a bowl or casserole dish for serving. I like to serve it in a baking dish to make re-heating easier, but also because I find it easier to serve with a spoon or dip into with chips. Top the finished dip with sliced celery, green onions, ranch dressing, and extra hot sauce.
And that’s it! You’ve got the best ever buffalo chicken dip, perfectly Whole30 AND dairy free.
Instant Pot Adaptation
Add the chicken, 1/2 cup of water or chicken broth, onion, celery, and half of the buffalo sauce to your Instant Pot. Set to High Pressure (or Meat/Stew) and cook for 10 minutes.
Allow for a natural pressure release for at least 5 minutes. If you’re new to Instant Pot Cooking, just do nothing and wait for the pressure to naturally dissipate for 5 minutes. Carefully turn the valve to the venting position and allow the rest of the pressure to release (Quick Pressure Release).
Set the chicken in a bowl and use two forks to shred it into bite sized pieces. Carefully use a ladle or large spoon to remove about 1/2 cup of liquid from the Instant Pot and discard it.
Add the shredded chicken back to the Instant Pot, then stir in all the other dip ingredients and the rest of the buffalo sauce. Turn the Instant Pot to Sauté mode and allow it to cook together, stirring often, for about 5-10 minutes. Turn off the Instant Pot, garnish with all your favorite toppings, and serve.
Make it ahead
Store the cooked dip in a covered container in the refrigerator. Transfer to an oven safe casserole dish, cover tightly with foil, and bake for about 20 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit, until the mixture is heated through and starting to bubble. Garnish with any topping you’re using and serve.
Transfer leftover dip to an airtight container or zip top bag. Store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, then reheat in the microwave or oven.
- Buffalo Ranch Chicken Casserole
- BBQ Chicken & Ranch Sliders
- Spicy BBQ Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Mini Burger Bites
Like this recipe? Drop a star rating below!
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip – Whole30, Dairy Free, Low Carb
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts
- 2/3 cup buffalo sauce or make a quick buffalo sauce by mixing together 2/3 cup hot sauce, 1/3 cup melted ghee, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika.
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 2-3 stalks celery about 2/3 cup – 1 cup once diced, depending on your tastes
- 1/2 medium onion about 2/3 cup once diced
- 2/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 2/3 cup mayo be sure it's compatible
Toppings, all optional
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing
- 2-3 green onions
- 1 stalk celery
- Dice the onion and celery and slice the green onions. Add the chicken breasts, coconut cream, buffalo sauce, nutritional yeast, onions, and half of the celery to the slow cooker. Don’t add the mayonnaise yet.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 3.5 – 4 hours, until the chicken is super tender and shreddable. Use two forks or a hand mixer to shred the chicken, then stir in the mayonnaise.
- Cover and allow the mixture to cook together for about 10 more minutes. Top the finished dip with sliced celery, green onions, ranch dressing, and extra hot sauce. Serve in the slow cooker itself or transfer the dip to a bowl or casserole dish for serving.