Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken, made in the Pressure Cooker and stuffed inside perfectly cooked sweet potatoes. The best thing about it? This Buffalo Chicken recipe is Whole30, Gluten Free and Paleo compliant, plus it’s made in just 20 minutes!!
This post contains some affiliate links. What does that mean? A small commission goes to support Cook at Home Mom if you decide to purchase after clicking the link, at no additional cost to you.
Time Saving Tips
Not only is this a Whole30 Buffalo Chicken recipe that goes from ingredients to belly in under 20 minutes, but it is absolutely delicious!! More importantly, I’m about to teach you something that’s going to save you SO MUCH TIME. They’re topped with ranch, chopped celery, and fresh parsley, and there is nothing boring about this meal, friends!
If you have an Instant Pot, stop whatever it is you’re doing.
This recipe is going to CHANGE YOUR LIFE, so I’m going to go ahead and recommend that you read this whole post.
What do you need for Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes? Here’s the list:
- Chicken Breasts or Thighs: I prefer thighs because they have a little more flavor, but I almost always have breasts in my freezer. Either would work great!
- Buffalo Sauce or Hot Sauce: I use Frank’s because… well, it’s a classic. There are plenty of others, but if you’re looking for a Whole30 compliant version, be sure to check the ingredients label!
- Chicken Stock or Water
- Coconut Aminos
- Arrowroot Powder
- Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Salt
- Sweet Potatoes
- Parsley, Celery, Ranch (All optional)
Making the Recipe
Ready for your mind to be blown? YOU CAN COOK TWO THINGS IN YOUR INSTANT POT, SEPARATELY, AT THE SAME TIME.
There are lots and lots of Instant Pot accessories available for pot-in-pot cooking, but I figured out something super cool — you don’t need them for this recipe! Since potato skins basically cook inside their own container (their skins), no accessories are needed. And it worked perfectly!
This adapted method will change the way you cook! You can cook TWO THINGS at the SAME TIME.
- Just set your chicken and sauce/seasonings in the Instant Pot, then put the trivet directly on top of the chicken.
- Put the sweet potatoes directly on top of the trivet.
- Cover and cook. That’s it!
The sweet potatoes stay above the cooking liquid so they don’t get mushy. Instead, they just get perfectly baked inside their skins. Delicious!
*If you’re wondering, this is the Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker I use.
- Substitute a different sauce for a totally different experience.
Both Whole30 BBQ sauce or Whole30 Teriyaki sauces would be AMAZING in this.
- This would work in a slow cooker, too!
Note: You just have to have a trivet or oven safe container that fits inside to keep the potatoes above the liquid. My slow cooker is awkwardly oval in shape so that’s a tall order for me, but if you have that, great! You could even cook your sweet potatoes in the microwave in advance, if you’d like!
- Use a different cut of meat.
Chicken thighs would work well here, too — just use boneless & skinless (the cook time has to be the same as the potatoes and bone-in takes longer).
Like this recipe? Drop a star rating below!
And if you do make it, I’d love to see!
Tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom.
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (Whole30)
Buffalo Chicken & Sweet Potatoes
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup hot sauce depending on how spicy you like it!
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 3 tbsp chicken broth or water
- 4 tbsp ghee
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder
- 4 small-medium sweet potatoes 2-2.5 inches in diameter
- 3-4 stalks celery
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup compliant ranch dressing
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
Cook the Chicken and Potatoes
- Wash the sweet potaoes and poke each one with a fork a few times. This allows steam to release so the potatoes don't explode while cooking.
- Add the chicken, hot sauce, ghee, broth, coconut aminos and seasonings to the Instant Pot.
- Place the trivet on top of the chicken. Set your potatoes on top of the rack. Cover and set to High or Meat for 15 minutes.
Prep the Toppings
- While the chicken and potatoes cook, chop the celery stalks and mince the parsley.
Assemble and Serve
- Manually release the pressure in the Instant Pot (carefully!). Remove the potatoes the chicken and set them aside.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode, and whisk in the arrowroot powder. Bring to a simmer, stirring often, until thickened slightly.
- Shred the chicken using two forks or a hand mixer. Return it to the simmering pot of buffalo sauce.
- Serve the chicken inside the potatoes, add more hot sauce if you'd like, then drizzle with ranch and top with some sliced celery and parsley. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!