This Chicken Fajita Stuffed Peppers recipe is one of the best and easiest healthy weeknight meals of all time! Bell peppers are gently broiled and stuffed with tender chicken, cauliflower rice, fresh pico and avocado. This recipe is Whole30, Paleo, Gluten Free AND family-friendly!
About the Recipe
I’m always looking for really simple Whole30 compliant weeknight meal ideas. If you’re looking for more super easy weeknight meals, check out this post I put together with SEVEN 20 minute (or less) Whole30 dinners.
So when I made these Chicken Fajita Stuffed Peppers, in a moment of pure humility, I thought to myself, “Oh, Laura, you’re a genius at making easy weeknight dinners that still feel fancy. You should really write a cookbook.” So humble, right? Ha!
A quick google search revealed I’m far from the first to come up with this basic idea. Not a genius after all, it turns out, but you know what? I’m just going to pretend it didn’t know that. I mean, we have to take the wins when we can get them, right?
Well, these weeknight Chicken Fajita Stuffed Peppers are definitely a win! They’re so fast, made in about 20 minutes total if you use some of the shortcuts I talk about a little further down in this post.
Here’s what you need to make it!
- Bell Peppers
- Cooked Chicken
- Taco or Fajita Seasoning
- Diced Tomatoes
- Serve with: Cauliflower Rice, Avocado, Pico de Gallo or Salsa, Cilantro, Lime
- Use store-bought rotisserie chicken. Whole Foods and Fresh Market both offer Whole30 compliant rotisserie chicken, and I’d be willing to bet a lot of other grocers do too.
- Use frozen cauliflower rice. It will save you the hassle and mess of doing it yourself, and I think it usually turns out great. I included directions on how to make your own cauliflower rice below, if you’d prefer that!
Avoiding Food Boredom on the Whole30
One of the most important things you can do to avoid food boredom during your Whole30 is MIX. IT. UP. Change up your meal routine a little bit — incorporate new flavors and new textures every so often.
And try new recipes! I try to incorporate just one new meal per week when I’m doing a Whole30. It’s only four new recipes in total!
I’ve found it helps to keep me excited about the process. Although there’s something to be said for simple ingredient meals (they certainly have an important place in everybody’s Whole30), I’ve found that dinnertime monotony is the enemy. I’d encourage you — try something, anything, that’s new.
Drop a star rating or let me know in the comments below!
Chicken Fajita Stuffed Peppers
Chicken Fajitas & Roasted Peppers
- 1 lb chicken breasts (Or use already cooked rotisserie chicken!)
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp fajita seasoning See recipe below to make your own.
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- 1 lime sliced
Prepare the Vegetables
- Preheat your broiler. Cut the peppers in half lengthwise, remove the stems, and scoop out the seeds. Rub the insides and outsides with a little oil, then place on a lined baking sheet.
- Broil for 3-4 minutes per side, until softened slightly. If any char forms on the skin, allow the peppers to cool and then rub it off with your thumbs.
- Dice the onion and garlic and set it aside.
- Prepare the cauliflower rice (I saute the frozen kind straight from a bag over low heat, stirring occasionally, until warmed and beginning to brown). Slice the lime and avocados.
Prepare the Chicken
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces & season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, then add the chicken in, stirring occasionally. Once the chicken begins to brown, add the onion to the pan and sauté together for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the taco seasoning and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Allow it to cook together for about 2-3 minutes, then remove it from the heat.
Assemble the Stuffed Peppers
- Spoon the chicken into the peppers with prepared cauliflower rice, your favorite salsa, and sliced avocado, and enjoy!
Homemade Fajita Seasoning – Keto, Whole30, Sugar Free
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- Add all ingredients to a small dish or mason jar. Mix well, cover, and store until you're ready to use it.