General Tso Shrimp Stir Fry
A healthy version of the takeout classic! The shrimp is tossed with a sweet and spicy General Tso's sauce and served with snow peas and tender rice.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 lb large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 4 Tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2-3 green onions
General Tso Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoon ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 3 Tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 cups snow peas
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
Prepare the Shrimp
Pat the shrimp dry with a paper towel. Transfer the shrimp to a bowl, season lightly with salt, and toss with arrowroot powder until the shrimp are coated evenly.
Heat the oil in a large skillet. In batches, cook the shrimp for just about 1 minute per side, until they start to turn pink. Set them aside on a plate.
Make the General Tso's Sauce
Cook the Snow Peas
Heat the oil in a small, separate skillet. Add the snow peas and a pinch of salt, and sauté for about 3 minutes. Once they’ve turned bright green in color, sprinkle with sesame seeds and remove them from the pan.
Garnish & Serve
Sprinkle the General Tso Shrimp with more sesame seeds, crushed red pepper, and sliced green onions, and serve over rice and sautéed snow peas.
To Make General Tso's Chicken:
To Store Leftovers: Transfer leftovers to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Cut cut your chicken breasts or thighs into 1 inch cubes.
- Follow the same directions above, except brown the chicken in the skillet on all sides for 1-2 minutes per side. Set it aside to make the sauce.
- When you return the chicken to the pan to cook with the sauce, cook it for 6-7 more minutes, until each piece is thoroughly cooked through. Remove one piece of chicken and cut it in half to check if it's been cooked through.
Calories: 390kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 286mg | Sodium: 1816mg | Potassium: 261mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 799IU | Vitamin C: 51mg | Calcium: 207mg | Iron: 4mg