Make sure you’ve got a napkin handy, because this Wedge Salad Sandwich is going to get a little messy! It’s so worth it though, because it’s got everything you want in your Low Carb/Keto sandwich: Crunchy iceberg lettuce, tangy blue cheese, crispy bacon, sweet tomatoes, and creamy avocado.
Why it Works
If you’re like me and avoiding gluten, grains, and carbs, or just looking to add more veggies to your diet, there are probably still times when you just want a sandwich.
Needless to say, I’m always excited to find healthier alternatives to bread that taste amazing! Iceberg lettuce is crunchy, crisp, refreshing, and the perfect vessel for making a “sandwich.”
Well, this Wedge Salad Sandwich is just as epic as those, if not more! It’s got all the things you love about a Wedge Salad, jam packed into a keto sandwich, with an easy Paleo / Whole30 adaptation!
Because there’s just something special about eating with your hands.
Get excited, because you miiiight even have all these things in your fridge for this already. Okay, so here’s what you’ll need:
- Iceberg lettuce
- Sugar free bacon or swap turkey bacon. The bacon is the only thing you’ll have to actually cook for this recipe!
- Red onion: Raw or pickled, your choice!
- Blue cheese dressing
Making the Sandwich
It’s really quite simple!
- Slice the iceberg lettuce in half, remove the outermost leaves, and remove the stem.
- Drizzle the mayo, ranch, or blue cheese onto the inside of each half.
- Add sliced tomato and red onion.
- Add sliced avocado and bacon.
- Assemble the sandwich by placing the halves together, then slice in half.
More Healthy & Delicious Recipes
- Tomato-Basil Grilled Turkey Breast Salad (Low Carb, Whole30)
- Bacon, Blue Cheese, & Pecan Spinach Salad (Gluten Free)
- Easy Collard Green Wraps (Low Carb, Whole30)
- Broccoli Bacon Salad (Whole30)
- Chicken & Bacon Caesar Salad (Low Carb, Whole30)
Making this recipe? I’d love to hear about your experience making it.
Please leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom!
Wedge Salad Sandwich (Keto, Whole30)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1/8 cup blue cheese or substitute compliant ranch to be for Whole30
- 4 slices sugar free bacon
- 1 large tomato
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/8 cup red onion sliced thinly
- black pepper to taste
Prep the Ingredients
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until crispy.
- Meanwhile, slice the avocado and tomato, and thinly slice the onion.
- Remove the outer leaves and bottom core from a head of iceberg lettuce, then slice it into two halves.
Assemble the Sandwich
- Spread blue cheese dressing on the inside with a crack of black pepper.⠀Layer a few tomato slices and thinly sliced onion inside the lettuce. Add slices of avocado and bacon.
- Carefully close the sandwich, cut in half, and eat it right away. ⠀