Three ingredients and a slow cooker is all you need to make this healthy Sweet Hawaiian Crock Pot Chicken. It’s sweetened naturally with pineapple and perfectly balanced with a smokey bbq kick! Simply add your ingredients and let it simmer away.
👨🍳 Why We Love It
Yup, you read that right. There are only 3 ingredients in this recipe! But don’t let that fool you into thinking it’s boring- It’s jam packed with flavor!
Sweet canned pineapple is paired with smokey, tangy bbq sauce to make the best ever Hawaiian inspired flavor combination.
The chicken comes out ultra tender and delicious. And because it’s made with all natural ingredients, it’s also Whole30 compatible and Paleo friendly.
But the real beauty of this dish is how little work is involved! You simply add your ingredients to your slow cooker, then turn it on. I call this “dump and start” cooking, and it’s one of my favorite things!
It’s also freezer friendly, so you can save leftovers or make a double batch for easy meals later on. And don’t forget to check out my Aloha Burgers, too!
- Chicken breasts
- Canned crushed pineapple. Look for pineapple in 100% juice instead of heavy corn syrup.
- BBQ sauce. Use my sugar free BBQ sauce recipe or grab a bottle of your favorite sugar free brand.
👉 Don’t like canned pineapple? Substitute diced fresh or frozen pineapple!
👉 Don’t have chicken breasts? Use boneless chicken thighs!
👉 Want to add veggies? Add a diced bell pepper (fresh or frozen) and/or red onion to the slow cooker.
🔪 Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Use a sharp knife or kitchen shears to dice the chicken breasts into bite sized pieces.
Step 2: Add the chicken, pineapple, and bbq sauce to your slow cooker. Close the lid and turn on.
⏰ Cook Times
- Low Heat: 3.5-4 hours
- High Heat: 2-2.5 hours
Note: If using frozen diced chicken, add an additional 45 minutes to an hour to the cook times.
When the chicken is fork tender, it’s ready! Remember to always check to make sure chicken is cooked to at least 145°F, per USDA.
Instant Pot Instructions
Add all the ingredients to your Instant Pot inner pot. No additional liquid is necessary.
Close the lid and turn High Pressure for 8 minutes. If using frozen diced chicken, adjust the time and cook for 12 minutes.
Allow for a Natural Pressure Release (NPR), then carefully open the lid. Stir and serve!
ℹ️ Tips & FAQ
Hawaiian chicken is great all on its own, and you can customize the sides based on your tastes and dietary restrictions. Other ideas for sides:
Purple cabbage slaw
Absolutely! Use boneless skinless chicken thighs. Note that you may need to cook the chicken thighs slightly longer than breasts. Because thighs are slightly denser and fattier than lean breasts, they require longer cooking to become tender. Add an extra 20-30 minutes to cook time if using thighs.
Frozen chicken would work great in this recipe. When using frozen chicken, simply add an additional 30-45 minutes of cook time.
Transfer leftovers to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, per USDA.
Hawaiian chicken freezes perfectly! Allow it to cool to room temperature, then transfer to a freezer safe airtight container or bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible, and lay it flat in the freezer. Freeze for up to 6 months, per USDA. To defrost, set the container on a plate in the refrigerator overnight.
✨ Making this recipe? I’d love to hear about your experience with it! ✨
Leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom!
Sweet Hawaiian Crock Pot Chicken
- 2 lb. chicken breasts boneless & skinless
- 1.5 cups bbq sauce
- 15 oz. canned crushed pineapple
- Dice the chicken into about 1 inch cube pieces.
- Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker. Add the pineapple and bbq sauce. Stir to combine the ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 3.5 – 4 hours or high for 2 – 2.5 hours. If using frozen diced chicken, add an additional 30-45 minutes to the cook time. When it's done cooking, the chicken should be at least 165°F (74°Ç) and fork tender, and the sauce should be simmering and thickened slightly.
- Carefully open the lid and spoon the chicken mixture onto plates. Garnish with lime and cilantro (optional).
- Don’t like canned pineapple? Substitute diced fresh or frozen pineapple!
- Don’t have chicken breasts? Use boneless, skinless thighs, and add about 20 minutes to cook time.
- For extra veggies, add a diced bell pepper and/or red onion.