This Strawberry Basil Smash is an awesome non-alcoholic Whole30 Mocktail! It’s simply made with whole strawberries, fresh basil, and seltzer. Honestly, this is the perfect special drink for a summer afternoon, your next backyard bbq or picnic, or pretty much any time at all! It’s lightly sweet, hydrating, and very refreshing!
Mocktails during your Whole30
I strongly believe there’s something kind of special about having a fun drink in hand. Non-alcoholic drinks are a great addition to your Whole30, so please, don’t skip the Whole30 mocktails!
A few of my favorite mocktails? I make a mean Peaches and Cream Mocktail, and I absolutely adore my recipe for a Grapefruit Sage Sparkler. But don’t even get me started on my Collagen Kombucha Slushie, because that one is totally my jam right now!
Strawberry Picking in Central VA
Ever since we moved to Virginia five years ago, we’ve gone strawberry picking at the local patch every April. It was just my little boy and me the first year we went. We’d go early in the morning, fill our buckets (and our bellies) with plenty of strawberries, and head home before lunchtime.
Over the years, though, we’ve added a few more kids to the mix, so the tradition has gotten a little more crazy and a lot more special.
We mostly eat our strawberries plain after the first trip to the strawberry patch. But the second, third, and fourth trip? I try to set at least some of our haul aside to do other fun things, too.
One of my favorites is this Strawberry Basil Smash Whole30 Mocktail. The basil is really fresh and herbaceous and the strawberries are just lightly sweet. Together, they make for a super refreshing and hydrating mocktail, exactly what I need after a few hours of work in the sunshine. It’s not complicated AT ALL.
Just a bubbly, hydrating, delicious drink to enjoy.
Tip for Making this Strawberry Basil Smash:
When you’re making a non-alcoholic drink at home, always remember that it doesn’t have to be complicated! When in doubt, just throw some fresh fruit and herbs together, smash it up, and top off with lots of ice and seltzer.
That’s basically all you do to make this Strawberry Basil Smash. I mean, it’s a tiny bit more complicated than that, but not much.
- So once you’ve got your berries and herbs mashed together and the glass topped off with crushed ice and seltzer, use some extra basil or a slice of lime as a garnish.
- Make sure you use a fancy ass straw. No, it’s not 100% necessary, but a fun straw in your drink does wonders to make you feel like you’ve got something special in your hand.
So pick up a fun metal or glass straw, or heck, even get that wiggly kids’ straw next time you’re at Target (check out my Whole30 Target Shopping List, too!). Then put it in this Whole30 mocktail. It’s worth it!
Pin it for later:
Are you making this drink?? Let me know and be sure to tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom! If you like it, drop a star rating below!
Strawberry Basil Smash Mocktail (Non-Alcoholic, Whole30)
- 1.5 cups fresh strawberries
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves
- 12 oz. seltzer (1 can)
- 1 lime sliced
- Wash, hull, and roughly chop the strawberries.
- Add the berries and basil leaves to a medium bowl, and muddle them together using a fork, potato masher, or use a large mortar and pestle. **It’s important to smash them enough so they’ll fit through a straw, but not too much that there’s no texture. If it’s too much of a pain, you can pulse them in the blender – that’s totally fine!
- Divide the berry mixture between two tall glasses. Fill the glasses with crushed ice and seltzer.
- Garnish with a slice of lime and more fresh basil (both optional). Top off your drinks with more seltzer as needed.
Looking for more mocktail fun? Another non-alcoholic summer favorite is my Coconut Mojito Mocktail! Check it out!