Made with tender cauliflower gnocchi, savory ground sausage, Organic Power Greens, and a creamy butternut squash sauce, this five ingredient, one skillet, Paleo friendly recipe is inspired by the flavors of fall! Best of all, it’s made in about 20 minutes flat!
This recipe was made in partnership with Earthbound Farm.
I love easy weeknight dinners!
I love this dish for so many reasons. It’s hearty but not heavy, healthy but definitely not boring. It’s just one of those meals you want to eat on a chilly night with someone you love.
It really feels like fall on a plate… or a bowl, whichever you prefer.
But I also love that is simple. It’s made quickly, in twenty minutes flat, plus super easily with just one skillet, so you won’t spend hours prepping or cleaning up.
The ingredients are in the Paleo Power Greens, Gnocchi & Sausage Skillet are almost all listed in the title, ha! That’s because this recipe, like a lot of my recipes, is super straightforward.
In total, the whole thing is made with just five ingredients: Cauliflower gnocchi, ground sausage, butternut squash, and coconut milk, then it’s all finished with Earthbound Farm Organic Power Greens. It’s a blend of baby chard, kale, and spinach that comes in a handy clamshell container.
Okay, I lied. It’s seven ingredients, because salt and pepper. Do those count? Hm… well, anyway.
When you make this recipe, don’t skip the Power Greens!
The baby greens in the Power Greens mix are super flavorful, and they add a layer of texture to the dish that you’ll definitely miss if you don’t include them. Plus they’re rich in vitamins A & C!
Making the Sausage & Gnocchi Skillet
Like I said, it all comes together in twenty minutes. TWENTY!
- Dice the butternut squash, steam it in the skillet with coconut milk, then puree it.
- Brown the sausage in the skillet, then add the gnocchi.
- Stir in the sauce, then stir in the greens until they’re wilted.
- Season with salt & pepper, and THAT IS IT.
Tips for Making the Sausage, Gnocchi & Power Greens Skillet
- I like to buy pre-cut butternut squash because it saves some time and cutting squash is one of my least favorite things to do. If you’d rather cut it up yourself, poke the skin a few times with a fork, then microwave it for about 2-3 minutes and allow it to cool. This softens the flesh enough to make peeling and chopping much, much easier.
- If you can’t find Paleo cauliflower gnocchi, go ahead and substitute any other kind of gnocchi. Just be sure to follow the package instructions for cooking them, and check the ingredients label! Many gnocchi are NOT Paleo compliant.
- If the sauce thickens too much in the skillet, the gnocchi were probably a touch undercooked, so they’re absorbing too much of the cooking liquid from the skillet. Just go ahead and stir in more coconut milk or water until it gets to the desired consistency. The sauce should be creamy and thick but still stir-able.
More healthy & delicious fall recipes:
- Sausage & Kale Stuffed Acorn Squash (Whole30)
- Kielbasa & Butternut Squash Skillet (Whole30)
- Frozen Bourbon & Chai Apple Cider
- Quick Sausage & Tortellini Soup
Like this recipe? Drop a star rating below!
And if you make it, I’d love to see! Please tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom.
Now Watch the Step by Step Recipe Video!
Power Greens, Gnocchi and Sausage Skillet with Creamy Butternut Squash Sauce
- 1 lb mild ground Italian sausage
- 2 cups cauliflower gnocchi
- 4 cups diced butternut squash about 1/2 large butternut squash
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3-4 cups mixed baby greens I use Power Greens from Earthbound Farm
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Prep the Ingredients
- Cook the gnocchi according to package instructions. Peel and dice the butternut squash.
Cook the Squash
- Add the butternut squash and half of the coconut milk to the pan and cover. Steam over medium – low heat for about 8-10 minutes, until the butternut squash is cooked through.
- Transfer everything in the pan to a blender or food processor. Add the rest of the coconut milk and season with salt and pepper. Blend until creamy, and set it aside.
Cook the Greens, Gnocchi, and Sausage Skillet
- Meanwhile, wipe or wash out the same skillet.
- Add the sausage to the skillet and brown over medium heat, breaking apart and stirring often.
- Once the sausage is browned, stir in the gnocchi and saute together for about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the butternut squash sauce. Once it begins to simmer, add the power greens. Stir the greens in and allow them to wilt. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve in bowls.