Paleo Chocolate Waffles are my family’s birthday breakfast tradition! They’re made with bananas, eggs, almond flour, coconut flour and cocoa, cooked until crispy and drizzled with almond butter. I think it’s the perfect weekend breakfast or brunch. Get the easy recipe here!
Paleo waffles started as a birthday tradition in my family when my oldest turned 3 a few years ago. The night before his big day, I asked him what he wanted and he said, immediately, “Waffles!”
I decided to made chocolate ones, for no real reason, just because I thought it might be fun for him! And he loved them SO much! I didn’t think he’d even remember it the next year, but sure enough, he did.
And ever since then, he insists that chocolate waffles are the only acceptable breakfast on someone’s birthday. And you know what? Paleo Chocolate Waffles are always okay by me! I actually think they’d be a pretty killer dessert, too!
So when my big guy turned 6 last week, for the fourth birthday in a row, we just had to have Paleo Chocolate Waffles! I topped them with sliced strawberries and some big drizzles of almond butter and maple syrup. He was one happy camper, and so was I!
Making paleo waffles from scratch really isn’t all that much work! It’s a lot simpler than making “real” waffles, in my opinion. You can even make them ahead of time, keep them in the fridge or freeze them, then just heat them in the toaster or microwave when you’re ready.
You can even make a Paleo Waffle Bar for when you have a big group or out of town guests to
But as easy as they are, it’s still nice to make them even easier. I sometimes make Paleo waffles using Birch Bender’s Paleo Pancake Mix (you just follow the instructions on the back to use it for waffles). It’s soooo easy, just add water and mix!
Psst: I got this Belgian waffle maker as a gift a few years ago, and I really love it! It cooks evenly and is super easy to clean. I couldn’t ask for anything more in a waffle maker! In my opinion, it’s worth the investment.
Check out some of my other healthy breakfast recipes:
- Breakfast Casserole with Hashbrown Crust (Whole30)
- Smoked Salmon and Asparagus Frittata (Whole30, Low Carb)
- Easy Shakshuka Skillet (Whole30)
- Avocado, Oat and Berry Smoothie (Gluten Free)
Paleo Chocolate Waffles
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1 cup strawberries sliced
- Gently pulse the banana in a blender until it’s broken down.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and pulse again until well combined but not over-mixed.
- Heat your waffle iron to a low-medium setting. Spray both griddles lightly with oil.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup onto the hot waffle iron and close.
- Top with drizzle of almond butter and maple syrup.
Looking for more Paleo breakfasts? Check out my Grain-Free Paleo Porridge!