A lovely and super easy dessert, this Berry and Almond Ricotta Galette will quickly become your new favorite thing to bake! Made with mixed berries, fresh ricotta, sliced almonds, and a little honey and agave for sweetness, it’s great for a weeknight sweet treat or for entertaining friends!
Pie Day / Pi Day
It started because I missed Pi Day on March 14th. Well, I didn’t even know was a thing! Get it, 3/14 is Pi Day? Well, everyone else on the planet seemed to not only have known about it, but they planned for it and had prepared an awesome pie to celebrate! Talk about your classic lame-dash-oh. I had some serious FOMO!
Immediately I was inspired to make a pie, but truth be told, my pies always seem to look kind of weird. Even if they taste delicious! The solution? Make one of my trusty old galettes. A galette is a free form pie, so you don’t have to take tons of time to make it look pretty.
Berry and Ricotta Galette
Guess what? A galette is actually sort of supposed to look kind of funny. Really. Just call it rustic and you’re good.
I checked the freezer for some inspiration, and this was a little stressful for me. I can usually throw together meals without much planning, but baking typically requires some planning beforehand.
There’s almost always frozen mixed berries in there, which I try to always keep on hand for smoothies and such. I also had leftover ricotta cheese and sliced almonds. Some kind of fruity cannoli pie? Not sure about that..
But then I found a lemon and I just knew what I’d make: citrus infused ricotta, almonds, and mixed berry galette.
It came out super good! I’m talking really, really good. As far as easy desserts go, this one is a total winner! It’s creamy and sweet, with just a little hint of tart from the berries.
Ricotta & Mixed Berry Galette
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 lemon zested
- 2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoon agave syrup or substitute maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 Tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 1/4 teaspoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 pie dough
- Preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl, mix together lemon zest, ricotta, agave, and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, add berries, 1 Tbsp sugar, honey, lemon juice, and corn starch, and mix together.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pie dough into a 12-14 inch round. Transfer it to parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Evenly spread the ricotta mixture onto the dough, leaving about a 2 inches on all sides.
- Spread the almonds over the ricotta, then pour the berry mixture on and evenly distribute, still leaving about 2 inches on all sides. Gently fold over the and pleat the edges of the dough over the filling.
- Beat the egg and brush onto the crust, then sprinkle the remaining sugar around the crust. Bake for about 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Allow it to cool before serving.
Leave a Reply